Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone not activating when connceted to itunes

Right, Well i got this new iphone, Well its not box fresh but its in pretty good condition, and when it came it had a few bits on it i.e someone elts pictures and stuff that they left on it, why they did this I do not know so I just simply reset my iphone, when I was trying to activate the iphone again connecting it to iTunes, it ttell me that "the iphone "iphone" could not be activated because an unknown error occurred (0xe8000004) please try again later." I have tried my pc which is windows 7 and my laptop with windows 8, both didn't have iTunes until I installed them, and I know part of the procedure is to uninstall and reinstall but I seriously doubt that will be any help, also im using an ipad wire to charge and connect it to my pc, I don't really think this is the problem either tho as they are the exact same as the iphone 4, im really stuck and just don't know what to do , also it says "no service" in the top right hand corner which I don't know if its meant to be like that, I have tried connecting it with another sim card also but as the iphones on ee and not o2 when I plugged it into the computer it just prompted that its not the correct sim card, Thanks in advance (also im not sure at this point if its an iphone4 or 4s and I have no idea what ios its running or its serial number because when I go onto iTunes its lterally a blank screen with that error message)

iPhone 4, no idea which ios its running

Posted on Jan 18, 2015 3:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2015 4:15 PM

See this: iOS: Unknown error containing '0xE' when connecting to a Windows PC - Apple Support

The iPad cable is not the problem.

8 replies

Jan 19, 2015 9:57 AM in response to megameh420

There are many possibilities, as the phone is not new. For example, it could have been jailbroken by the previous user. This can cause that type of error. Or it may have a hardware problem. You can try a DFU restore, which will bypass most hacks that may have been made to the phone.

DFU mode (with prep steps):

• Install the latest version of iTunes on your computer, making sure you use a computer that has administrator privileges.
  • Reboot your computer.
  • Disable your antivirus and firewall.
  • Launch iTunes.
  • Connect the USB cord to a USB port directly on the computer (not a USB hub). Do not connect to the phone.
  • On the phone hold the HOME and SLEEP buttons at the same time for exactly 10 seconds, then release the SLEEP button but continue holding the HOME button. If you see an Apple logo appear you held both buttons for too long. Start over.
  • While still holding the HOME button connect the dock cable to the phone.
  • The phone should appear in iTunes in Recovery mode. This may take up to a minute. When it appears release the HOME button and the phone should restore.

Jan 19, 2015 3:19 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thanks a lot again for the help i tried this, it started to update the iphone so I actually got excited for a second thinking my phone would work, This whole activation process is actually ******** as theres nothing even wrong with the phone... but yeah I did all that, it updated my iphone and everything and then at the end of it I plugged it back into the computer when it finished, and I got the same error code again, also when It was updating my serial number was n/a... I really don't know anymore , just never gonna get an iphone again too much hassell... the iphone worked fine before I reset it and now its just not gonna work, If anyone elts has any suggestions id be thankful, i'll be taking it to the phone shop tomorrow to see if it can be sorted

iphone not activating when connceted to itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.