Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the System Administrator password that is prompted when opening some applications?

I adopted a eMac today from a relative as they weren't using it. It looks like a friend gave it to them who got it a garage sale. I've never had an Apple product before, I'm a pretty experienced Windows user, however. The eMac is running 10.3.3.

I went to install a USB wireless adapter (driver? are they called that on Mac?) and after it was done, I went to open it's configuration utility and it prompts this login window where it requests a password for an account called "System Administrator"

When I first got the computer, it had one account called "a a" (what a terrible name). It was an admin account, since I couldn't change its shortname, I made a new admin account called "Connor" gave myself admin privileges and then deleted "a a". Now, with this window, I enter my password and it doesn't accept it. I've tried other common passwords such as: "1234", "root", "admin", and even "password".

I'm not sure if I'm missing a default root user password. This would be much easier if the Mac OS X disc was included with the PC, but it wasn't. So, any information to help me get around this snag would be great.

Thanks!

eMac-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.3.x)

Posted on Jan 18, 2015 8:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2015 8:32 PM

When you made your new admin account did you not give yourself a password? It was part of the configuration. If you failed to do so then:

Forgot Your Account Password

For Snow Leopard and earlier with installer DVD

Mac OS X 10.6- If you forget your administrator password,

OS X- Changing or resetting an account password (Snow Leopard and earlier).

For Snow Leopard and earlier without installer DVD

How to reset your Mac OS X password without an installer disc | MacYourself

Reset OS X Password Without an OS X CD — Tech News and Analysis

How To Create A New Administrator Account - Hack Mac

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2015 8:32 PM in response to Commmett

When you made your new admin account did you not give yourself a password? It was part of the configuration. If you failed to do so then:

Forgot Your Account Password

For Snow Leopard and earlier with installer DVD

Mac OS X 10.6- If you forget your administrator password,

OS X- Changing or resetting an account password (Snow Leopard and earlier).

For Snow Leopard and earlier without installer DVD

How to reset your Mac OS X password without an installer disc | MacYourself

Reset OS X Password Without an OS X CD — Tech News and Analysis

How To Create A New Administrator Account - Hack Mac

Jan 18, 2015 8:36 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy,

I made myself a password, it works to login to the computer. When I login, it knows my username is "Connor" I enter my password, it works, I login. When I open this application, it asks for "System Administrator" password. As if "System Administrator" was a username. I don't know of this account, nor is it under users.

Resetting a password will not work because this "System Administrator" is NOT a user on this computer. If I got to suers, I only see my user account "Connor".

Jan 19, 2015 9:20 AM in response to Commmett

But the top pic is not a login prompt, right? Exactly, when does it appear? It's been forever since I used such an old version of OS X that the dialog is no longer familiar. And, it appears for either account? Does this appear for all applications or only a particular one?

Do you have an OS X installation DVD for the computer?

Jan 19, 2015 9:45 AM in response to Kappy

It looks exactly the same as the login screen, since it's asking for a password for an account, I'm calling it a login prompt. I don't know what to call it other than that. It only pops up when I open this specific application. It does happen with both accounts.

As I said before, this prompt pops up when I go to run this Netgear network configuration utility. I do not have the installation DVD.

Jan 19, 2015 10:42 AM in response to Commmett

If you don't need it then I would remove it. If it cam with an uninstaller then use that. Otherwise, download the free EasyFind 4.9.3 to search for all items containing "net gear" or "netgear" in the name and removing it. I wish I could help more, but I don't know a thing about this hardware and software. I suppose you could contact Net Gear tech support for help if you need to install the software. You could try the password you use from Windows to access the device assuming you are using it.

Jan 19, 2015 12:09 PM in response to Kappy

I don't think you're understanding me. I need to use this program so that I can get this USB network adapter to work. It's not a password-protected device. It has nothing to do with Windows. I'm just trying to figure out what this prompt is that's asking me for a password to "System Administrator." I don't know who this "System Administrator" is. I know I'm an admin and that is why I'm so confused. I don't know the password for this. It has nothing to do with Netgear, honestly. It has everything to do with Mac OS X.

Jan 19, 2015 12:25 PM in response to Commmett

I don't see a connection between the forum you linked as applying here because the Root User is a machine-wide user, not one limited to one program. If you installed this Net Gear software from their installer program, then I do not think it would require Root User status either to install it or use it.

Enabling and using the "root" user in Mac OS X

Mac OS X 10.7 Help: Enable and disable the root user

Although the second item is for Lion, it's source is simply the OS X Help files that can be accessed from the Finder's Help menu. Search for "root user."

What is the System Administrator password that is prompted when opening some applications?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.