Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I delete multiple (thousands) of empty playlists created by iTunes Match?

Somehow over the last year (during an update I suspect) our iTunes library created thousands upon thousands of empty playlists. There are roughly 3,000 labeled "C" .... and there is another as well. We cannot figure out a way to delete them. I spent hours trying once to delete but once another device synced, they were back (and I had never gotten rid of all of them). Help, please. Incredibly frustrating.

Posted on Jan 18, 2015 9:29 PM

4 replies

Feb 11, 2016 6:53 AM in response to JMartindale3

Try this script. It worked wonders for me - I had 4450 blank playlists.

http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=deleteemptyplaylists

That said, I cannot find a way to stop the re-creation of them...after completion of this script (took a few hours to run but deleted all blank playlists), I am getting new blank playlists created every few minutes...Playlist, Playlist 1, Playlist 2, etc. Anyone have any ideas about how to solve this? I have tried turning off iTunes Match on all of my devices (including iOS device) and quitting iTunes and turning it back on, and the creation process continues.

Good luck!

Feb 28, 2016 8:39 AM in response to mep3

Originally posted the question in 2015 and appreciate the response. We still have thousands upon thousands of empty playlists. I've tried running scripts, turning off match, you name it. They get deleted and then, somehow, they all return. Beyond frustrating. Every playlist we have now starts with the letter A ...you can imagine. Thanks for trying.

How do I delete multiple (thousands) of empty playlists created by iTunes Match?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.