Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After opening AVCHD with Quicktime once, AVCHD now appears as a folder and won't allow me to open with Quicktime again! How do I get to reopen with Quicktime?

After I opened AVCHD with Quicktime, opened some videos, and then closed Quicktime, my AVCHD folder does't appear as a Quicktime icon anymore but as a folder and the BDMV appears as Document. If I try to force open it with Quicktime I get a message: "The document “BDMV” could not be opened. QuickTime Player cannot open files in the “data” format."

How do I get my AVCHD folder to reappear as a Quicktime icon?!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), null

Posted on Jan 19, 2015 2:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2015 7:36 AM

After I opened AVCHD with Quicktime, opened some videos, and then closed Quicktime, my AVCHD folder does't appear as a Quicktime icon anymore but as a folder... How do I get my AVCHD folder to reappear as a Quicktime icon?!

Not sure what you really want here. A "folder" is merely the graphic representation of a directory. As such, you can "associate" any custom icon you wish by simply dropping that icon to the top area of the "Info" window for that folder. However, this does not change the behavior of the folder—only the way it looks in the Finder.

...and the BDMV appears as Document.

Not an AVCHD camcorder user but I play around with a lot of BD content. Based on this experience and the article you referenced for this topic (HT202557), I suspect the same storage workflows may apply. Basically the document cited states "To access your clips in the media, open the folder and double-click the file named AVCHD, BDMV, or PRIVATE... If your AVCHD media has a single video clip, then QuickTime Player will simply open the clip in a player window." I suspect your AVCHD container may currently contain more than a single file. The implication of the above quote is that when the storage container holds more than one file, its behavior may change. Based on this, what happens when you treat the AVCHD media storage container as a "package document" rather than a "folder" or "media file?"

On my system, if I open the main media folder I see the following:

User uploaded file

My BDMV container holds several folders and files and serves as a "package document" here. Double-clicking on its icon also returns a "Cannot Open" modal message. However, if I use the "Context" menu to "Show Package Contents," this is what I see:

User uploaded file

At this point I suspect that different devices probably store their media files differently—either stored directly in the "package" file or stored in a sub-folder contained in the "package" file. In my case, the actual media stream (M2TS) files are stored in the "STREAM" folder as seen here:

User uploaded file

As you can see in the above example, my "STREAM" folder contains 32 media files—the video of which can be viewed directly by QL and/or the QT X player app. Unfortunately, in my case, most of these files have DTS audio streams which are not natively supported by QL or QT X and for this reason, I normally play my content using the VLC player which has built-in DTS codec support. (Am assuming AVCHD camcorder files normally contain AC3 or LPCM audio and would, therefore, play both audio and video without problem for you.)

In any event, this brings us full circle back to the question, "What happens if you open the BDMV document as a 'package' file?" Do your clips then show up in the "package" container directly or in a folder within the "package" container? Once again, I believe the specific way the media files are actually stored will depend on the device and manufacturer. In any case, you can try this approach to see if it helps gain Finder-level access to the media files.

User uploaded file

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2015 7:36 AM in response to louiloui28

After I opened AVCHD with Quicktime, opened some videos, and then closed Quicktime, my AVCHD folder does't appear as a Quicktime icon anymore but as a folder... How do I get my AVCHD folder to reappear as a Quicktime icon?!

Not sure what you really want here. A "folder" is merely the graphic representation of a directory. As such, you can "associate" any custom icon you wish by simply dropping that icon to the top area of the "Info" window for that folder. However, this does not change the behavior of the folder—only the way it looks in the Finder.

...and the BDMV appears as Document.

Not an AVCHD camcorder user but I play around with a lot of BD content. Based on this experience and the article you referenced for this topic (HT202557), I suspect the same storage workflows may apply. Basically the document cited states "To access your clips in the media, open the folder and double-click the file named AVCHD, BDMV, or PRIVATE... If your AVCHD media has a single video clip, then QuickTime Player will simply open the clip in a player window." I suspect your AVCHD container may currently contain more than a single file. The implication of the above quote is that when the storage container holds more than one file, its behavior may change. Based on this, what happens when you treat the AVCHD media storage container as a "package document" rather than a "folder" or "media file?"

On my system, if I open the main media folder I see the following:

User uploaded file

My BDMV container holds several folders and files and serves as a "package document" here. Double-clicking on its icon also returns a "Cannot Open" modal message. However, if I use the "Context" menu to "Show Package Contents," this is what I see:

User uploaded file

At this point I suspect that different devices probably store their media files differently—either stored directly in the "package" file or stored in a sub-folder contained in the "package" file. In my case, the actual media stream (M2TS) files are stored in the "STREAM" folder as seen here:

User uploaded file

As you can see in the above example, my "STREAM" folder contains 32 media files—the video of which can be viewed directly by QL and/or the QT X player app. Unfortunately, in my case, most of these files have DTS audio streams which are not natively supported by QL or QT X and for this reason, I normally play my content using the VLC player which has built-in DTS codec support. (Am assuming AVCHD camcorder files normally contain AC3 or LPCM audio and would, therefore, play both audio and video without problem for you.)

In any event, this brings us full circle back to the question, "What happens if you open the BDMV document as a 'package' file?" Do your clips then show up in the "package" container directly or in a folder within the "package" container? Once again, I believe the specific way the media files are actually stored will depend on the device and manufacturer. In any case, you can try this approach to see if it helps gain Finder-level access to the media files.

User uploaded file

Jan 19, 2015 8:13 AM in response to Jon Walker

Hi John, Thanks for trying to help but you are very far from understanding the problem here. if you're not an AVCHD user, you aren't going to be able to help here. Thanks anyway.

Here's some more detail for others willing to help:

My ACVHD folder indeed contained many files, which should have indeed appeared in the hidden structure of the BDMV file. They used to appear there just earlier today. If the BDMV was able to "show package contents" I wouldn't have any problem. The issue is that it has somehow gone corrupt and now appears as a document, which doesn't contain anything inside.

Quicktime can't read it, VLC can barely read it (somehow is showing a 9sec clip from one of the videos inside, what makes me suspect that the footage is still hiding somewhere).

This AVCHD folder used to contain 28GB and is now only a few MB.

What I realise now caused my AVCHD folder to go corrupt is this old thread on Apple communities Quicktime killed my AVCHD file

Basically made me realise that when I naively earlier today pressed "export to youtube" and then force quit Quicktime that got stuck, this somehow corrupted the AVCHD folder.

I haven't found any solution to this online. Everybody seems to want to get rid of Quicktime as their AVCHD opener or to recover their AVCHD footage from their cameras. I'm looking to recover my AVCHD footage directly from my MAC or to get Quicktime and my MAC to re-recognise the structure of the folder and the footage inside!

If anybody has any real insights it would be much appreciated! (I have the back up of the footage but at the moment I'm in another country and would love to save the great cost and risk of getting the other hard drive delivered to me especially as it seems that the footage must still be hiding somewhere in the corrupt folder!)

Jan 19, 2015 9:09 AM in response to louiloui28

This AVCHD folder used to contain 28GB and is now only a few MB.

As with the other topic you referenced, this implies that your hard drive seems to consider these files to be deleted and the space the data occupies is currently free for reuse. (I.e., files are not normally deleted physically unless you perform a secure deletion to overwrite the data.) If this is true, then you may be able to use a file recovery utility to recover the "lost" files as was done in the other discussion. However, this operation should be performed as soon as possible since newly stored data can overwrite the data you are trying to retrieve. Your original post merely stated an inability to access video content in the BDMV container—not that your disk operating system considered the files to be missing. On the other hand, if the BDMV container is, as you think, actually corrupted, then I'm not sure you will be able to recover the "data" at all. Still, you may want to run the "Repair Disk Permissions" option in the Disk Utility app (or similar third-party utility) to see if it helps.

While one poster to the other topic seemed to consider the use of multi-terrabyte RAID units to be merely a "bragging" point, I consider them an essential precaution to ensure the reliability of my data in situations like this, as well as, the failure of individual drives.

User uploaded file

After opening AVCHD with Quicktime once, AVCHD now appears as a folder and won't allow me to open with Quicktime again! How do I get to reopen with Quicktime?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.