Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow data transfer speeds to USB flash drives

Is anyone else experiencing extremely slow (1gb = 1 hour) data transfer speeds to USB flash drives formatted to FAT32?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), Logic Pro X 10.0.7

Posted on Jan 19, 2015 4:21 AM

2 replies

Jan 31, 2015 5:28 PM in response to Bilborough Music Tech

I am having a very similar issue. I am copying iTunes music to a USB flash drive formatted to FAT32. It is very slow - not as slow as you have indicated, but still very slow. Someone mentioned it could be Spotlight indexing the USB drive. I am going to turn indexing off and try again - although it is taking a long time just to stop the current copy that I had in progress.

Mar 1, 2015 5:26 PM in response to Bilborough Music Tech

I'm having this problem on my MacBook Pro (mid-2010) running Yosemite (10.10.2) and it's driving me completely insane. It's taking me ~20 min. to transfer a 1GB file onto a flash drive (FAT32-formatted), whereas it takes ~1min. to then transfer the same file onto a Surface RT. There have been suggestions made that the FAT32 format is the problem.

Slow data transfer speeds to USB flash drives

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.