Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sold iMac-Wiped HD-Reinstall Question

Bought a new iRetina 27" and am selling my old 22" iMac. I've zero wiped the HD and have reinstalled Yosemite and have reached the point where the setup process is pick the country. I'm thinking I should power down here and leave the rest for the new owner. I'd like to tell him the steps that will follow, but I don't remember them. Can anyone list them for me?

When i downloaded the OS 10.10 I used my Apple ID. Does this affect the new owner of the iMac? How does he make the iMac his own, as far as Apple is concerned?

If anyone has any thoughts on what the new owner is going to need to know, please let me know.

Do all iMacs have built-in wifi? I never used it on the old one and I'm at a point where I can't check it.

Posted on Jan 19, 2015 8:09 AM

17 replies

Jan 19, 2015 8:57 AM in response to Niel

How would I load the original OS? It was not offered as an option and I don't remember the exact level it was on when I got the computer. I've not purchased any OS upgrades,Yosemite was free. Does it really have to be the original OS?

Does your YES refer to leaving the rest for the new owner?

Does the fact I install with my apple id affect the new owner?

Jan 19, 2015 9:08 AM in response to jangell2

Yes it will affect the new owner:. Even though Yosemite is free, its still licensed to your Apple ID, and you are not legally allowed to simply give that license to the new owner. They must get a license of their own by downloading Yosemite with their own Apple ID. Otherwise any time they want to update the Os they would require your Apple Id and password to do it. And the Mac would be eternally linked to you.

You'll need to follow these steps before giving the iMac away.

What to do before selling or giving away your Mac - Apple Support

You need to re-install the Original OS the iMac shipped with.

Jan 19, 2015 9:47 AM in response to jangell2

It either came with Snow Leopard or Lion. Most Likely Lion.

Mac OS X versions (builds) for computers - Apple Support

You'll need to use Internet Recovery To install the Original OSx.

Restart the computer and press and hold: Command+Option+r until you see a Spinning Globe.

Follow the onscreen prompts to reinstall.

OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support

Jan 19, 2015 3:23 PM in response to jangell2

You will need to boot into Internet recovery (Command + Option + R); once in the Utilities window, erase the drive, then choose to reinstall OS X. If it came with Lion, it should install Lion. If it came with Snow leopard, all bets are off because I've tested such a machine several times and the results differed. It can't download Snow Leopard because that has never been available for download from the servers, so it will either download Lion or simply tell you it can't do anything or download Yosemite again. In any of these cases, you will need to call Apple to obtain the original install disks for a nominal charge.

If you sell the machine with any OS obtained from the app store, it will be tied to your Apple ID and the new owner will never be able to reinstall or update any apps (aside from the fact that they'll be running pirated software at that point).

Jan 21, 2015 12:36 PM in response to babowa

I've reauthorized and signed out as indicated in this thread. Lion 10.7 has been installed and I powered down at the Welcome screen where the new owner can continue to personalize the iMac for himself.

I have one question remaining: Does anyone remember what applications this iMac shipped with? Among those apps I thought were iPhoto and Garageband. The fist time i reinstalled and it was not the original OS so I went all the way thru and setup up the mac for me, I took a quick look at the apps and did not see those two. May have been others missing.

If anyone can point me to a list of standard apps, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for your help, I couldn't have got this done without you.

Jan 21, 2015 2:12 PM in response to jangell2

You used Internet Recovery (Command + Option + R)? And erased your drive first? Then you should be good to go..

Those apps are no longer included unless it is a new Mac. The buyer needs to obtain them from the app store (purchase them). If you were to leave them, the buyer would never be able to update them (or reinstall).

If it is a new Mac, they are generally not installed, but sitting in the Purchases section at the app store - you have to "accept" them which means they will be associated with your Apple ID; after that you can download them. I just did that with a new iMac. And, as the license for anything obtained at the app store is not transferable, I will have to wipe them if I want to sell this one.

Jan 21, 2015 5:26 PM in response to babowa

I am liking apple less and less. You are saying that when I bought my old mac (my first apple pc) the apps that the apple store told me "came with the mac" didn't really. The came to me. Now that I've got a new mac, I've still only got one license for iPhoto? I've bought two macs, but only one iPhoto? What would have happened if I kept the old mac for my use. Would I have been entitled to iPhoto on both?

I've spent most of the pc life with PCs, not macs. If I bought a PC that came with certain software, I could sell the PC and the software could go with it. This is not the case with apple?

I apologize if I'm sounding a little testy towards you, since you're only the messenger. This really *****.

Jan 21, 2015 6:10 PM in response to jangell2

That's quite alright - I don't care for it either. The problem with the new app store versions is that you must "accept" it; doing that will associate it with your Apple ID and it becomes non-transferable. Here are a couple of excerpts from the iPhoto SLA (I picked iPhoto, but they're pretty much the same) - this is for the app store version:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Both of those are from here:

http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/iPhoto.pdf

Not quite confused enough? This is from the iLife licensing agreement (which was what you got on install disks: iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, etc):

User uploaded file

From here:

http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/iLife11.pdf

As you can see, they are quite different. So, if you have separate iLife disks, you can either keep them or give them to a buyer (I still have and use mine!). If you don't have them and accept the apps in the app store, they become yours only and you can't transfer them.

Sold iMac-Wiped HD-Reinstall Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.