Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DVD created with iDVD won't play on DVD players.

iDVD 7.1.2

iMac 2.66GHz - 4gb memory 250gb storage

OS 10.9.5

Discs created in iDVD suddenly stopped working with DVD players. I can still play on an iMac, but they now won't play on a DVD player. I have created 4 or 5 discs since upgrading to 10.9 but now iDVD is producing unreadable discs. I am using the same Verbatim DVD+R discs as I was previously. Any ideas what to try?

Posted on Jan 19, 2015 10:14 AM

9 replies

Jan 19, 2015 10:45 AM in response to gfriesen60

I have found that iDVD is not reliable in any OS version past Mountain lion (Mavericks or Yosemite); it has not been supported by Apple since Lion although, their Engineering dept. did work with me after I sent in bug reports through Mountain lion. After that, the support stopped. All I can suggest is to try again or, as I do, use a different burn app (I use Roxio Toast) - I still give my movies the "finish" with iDVD with menus/transitions, etc. and then burn to a disc image or Video TS folder; I then drag that into the Toast window to burn to DVD.

Jan 19, 2015 2:58 PM in response to gfriesen60

How old are the DVD players that won't play the disk? DVD+R disks are not compatible with DVD players built before 2003. If you used the same disk with Mavericks then this premise is not valid.

Follow this workflow to help assure the best qualty video DVD:

Once you have the project as you want it save it as a disk image via the File ➙ Save as Disk Image menu option. This will separate the encoding process from the burn process.

To check the encoding mount the disk image, launch DVD Player and play it. If it plays OK with DVD Player the encoding is good.

Then burn to disk with Disk Utility or Toast at the slowest speed available (2x-4x) to assure the best burn quality. Always use top quality media: Verbatim, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are the most recommended in these forums.

Burning the disk image with Disk Utility or Roxio Toast as babowa suggested at the slowest speed available will produce a more reliable video DVD than directly from iDVD.
User uploaded file

Jan 19, 2015 9:20 PM in response to babowa

I have found that iDVD is not reliable in any OS version past Mountain lion (Mavericks or Yosemite)

Our organization is using iDVD almost daily with Mavericks and Yosemite, using with Mac Pros, Mac Minis, and MacBook Pros. ZERO problems.

If we were unable to use iDVD, we would probably have to say goodbye to Macintosh.

Jan 19, 2015 11:24 PM in response to babowa

as iMovie HD 06 does not even launch in Yosemite and is not reliable in Mavericks.

Wow, we certainly are having different experiences. We are using iMovie HD 06 with Mavericks on a daily basis. No problems.

Yosemite has a bug that incorrectly identifies iMovie 6 (a.k.a. iMovie HD) as not compatible. iMovie HD works fine with Yosemite. Below is a workaround that many use until this bug is fixed.

Find iMovie HD in your applications folder.

Right click on it, and select “Show Package Contents”.

You will then find a folder named "Contents”. Open it. Then open the folder named "MacOS”.

There you will find "iMovie HD". Double-click on this, and iMovie HD will launch.

Then create an alias. iMovie HD starts directly from the alias.

DVD created with iDVD won't play on DVD players.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.