Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie 10.0.6 youtube upload fail

I'm having trouble uploading my video to youtube from iMovie 10.0.6. I know I can export it and do it myself, but the direct upload fails overtime. I've gotten numerous error messages including this hilarious one - error: this is null! I have a macbook 2008 aluminum, running yosemite 10.0.1

MacBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jan 19, 2015 9:35 AM

11 replies

May 26, 2015 7:25 AM in response to iFrog41

I have iMovie 10.0.8 and have been trying to upload short movies (~1.2GB) to YouTube.

Each time iMovie quits unexpectedly after almost reaching the end - very frustrating and disappointing experience to say the least!

Prior versions were more stable and I was able to queue multiple uploads all of which worked flawlessly.

Exporting movie to a file and then uploading directly to YouTube is an option but it takes at least 2x longer...

Oct 25, 2015 4:21 AM in response to gwe204

I had this issue for four months and no updates to OS X or to iMovie fixed it. Today I found the root cause and found a workaround; the issue seems to be with my iMovie Library file. The issue does not occur for a different iMovie library. So try this in iMovie:

1. File | Open Library | New.... - and give it a name, such as "Projects to Share".
  2. With both the original and new Libraries open, you can move a troublesome project via the Projects view using the "Move to Library" or "Copy to Library" options.
  3. This step seems to be important: Close the original library (File | Close Library) and then ensure you quit and restart iMovie.
  4. Confirm you have only the new Library open in iMovie (it should contain only the projects you moved/copied and their source clips).

You should now be able to export as expect.

Jul 4, 2016 1:14 PM in response to gwe204

I've had this issue a couple of times and in all cases it was caused by a corrupted permission in the filesystem. Running 'repair permissions' using the Disk Utility program got rid of the issue. In my specific case it was a corrupted .DS_Store file; not sure what caused that... but maybe this is due to iPhoto/iMovie competing for importing media and/or ejection of the media.

Dec 10, 2016 9:50 AM in response to pfmmaas

pfmmaas

I've had this issue a couple of times and in all cases it was caused by a corrupted permission in the filesystem. Running 'repair permissions' using the Disk Utility program got rid of the issue. In my specific case it was a corrupted .DS_Store file; not sure what caused that... but maybe this is due to iPhoto/iMovie competing for importing media and/or ejection of the media.

^^^ This worked, however, I had to run Disk Utility from CMD-R reboot in order to fix the permissions. Thanks for the tip.

iMovie 10.0.6 youtube upload fail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.