Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Graphics/artifacting issues with new mid-2014 15" MacBookPro Retina

I'm having graphics issues with my new 15" mid-2014 2.8 MacBookPro Retina. It came with Yosemite. I keep get glitchy

artifacting when using Premiere Pro and After Effects (CC 2014), obviously, but then even just while using Finder when AE and PP are closed.

I've read about it with earlier models, but nothing about the new ones.

I turned off the Automatic Graphics Switching in Energy Saver and just updated my CUDA NVIDIA driver. It's still a problem. Any ideas on what to do next?

Thanks in advance.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), iOS 8.1.2, null

Posted on Jan 19, 2015 9:48 AM

8 replies

Jan 19, 2015 12:56 PM in response to whitlet

Remove CUDA and see whether there's an improvement.

To remove CUDA, triple-click anywhere in the first line below on this page to select it:

/Library/Frameworks/CUDA.framework
/Library/LaunchAgents/com.nvidia.CUDASoftwareUpdate.plist
/Library/PreferencePanes/CUDA Preferences.prefPane
/System/Library/Extensions/CUDA.kext
/System/Library/StartupItems/CUDA
/usr/local/cuda

Right-click or control-click the line and select

Services Reveal in Finder (or just Reveal)

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with an item selected. Move the selected item to the Trash. You may be prompted for your administrator login password. Continue with the remaining lines. Some of the items may be absent, in which case you'll get a message that the file couldn't be found. After moving all the above items to the Trash, restart the computer and empty the Trash. Don't try to empty the Trash until you have restarted.

If you haven't already done so, back up all data before making any changes.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Mar 10, 2015 7:35 AM in response to whitlet

I actually wanted to follow up with this for others that might be searching for acknowledgement of/a solution to this problem.

I'm still having the graphics artifacting problem. It was fine for a little while after the PRAM reset, but then started acting up pretty insanely whenever I use Premiere and After Effects, or heaven forbid, use them at the same time. Sometimes it even just freezes and shuts down. I know crazy, right! To actually be trying to use the MacBook Pro for pro purposes!

I've been searching this problem on the interwebs and it seems that some of the MacBook Pros with two graphics cards are having a hard time knowing when to switch between graphics cards and it freaks out.

The only remedy is to take it in to the Apple Store and have them replace the motherboard and/or graphics cards.

I own a production company where I do a lot of editing that requires me to use Premiere, After Effects and Photoshop. Editing is pretty much where most of my income comes from. So, you know, once I get to a point in the month where I can spare it for a few days, I'll bring my nearly brand spanking new computer that I use for my livelihood into the Apple Store so they can fix it. It's not as bad for me. I still have a 2010 MacBookPro that I gave to my husband when I "upgraded" to the Retina. I'll just steal that back! Regardless, I am less than pleased. But, you do what you've got to do, right?

Anyway, I'll report back for posterity purposes. Thanks again, Linc for your help with this problem!

Mar 25, 2015 6:21 PM in response to whitlet

I'm on my second brand new computer as well. Both new MacBook Pro Retina 15-inch mid-2014s, both with graphics issues which I've been told by Apple are related to software. Apple swapped out the first for the second in the first weeks to eliminate hardware issues. Interestingly (or perhaps not), both gave me PPP003 (battery may not be charging properly) codes when I did the home diagnostics. The Geniuses at the store told me that is not something that their hardware tests deal with (?).

The second computer was supposedly put through every hardware test the store had before I picked it up. My data was migrated onto the second computer, save for 3rd party apps. After about 5 days the second computer started exhibiting the same glitches- in my case a lot of juxtaposed text, flickering, and pixelated sections that stay within the confines of the browser page. I see the graphics issues most in Safari and Firefox--so far. The sound comes and goes on mail, messages, and notifications as well.

At my latest Genius appt. I was told I could try unchecking the graphics switching and try checking "reduce transparency" in Accessibility. We did both in the store and still got artifacts in my account and in a user account. The only thing that Genius said he could do was to uninstall/reinstall Yosemite and have me bring back items bit by bit. I had already done that a few times as a result of graphics issues on my previous MacBook Pro that turned out to definitely be related to hardware issues. I asked 4 Geniuses if my migrated data can be an issue and only one of them said "perhaps" because he had seen one case where a bad attachment in an email caused corruption.

The latest Genius was pretty surprised to see the graphic issues that he did on this new MBP. He told me he was going to prepare an extensive report and suggested that I call Apple Customer Relations. I went home and unchecked the graphics switching and saw an improvement but don't really feel that not extending the life of my battery so that I don't get artifacts is a solid resolution on a brand new computer. I also have not run a lot of heavy apps all at once on this new computer with graphics unchecked to see what happens.

I went through a lot with the graphics issues on my old computer. I'm certainly not looking for a repeat performance on this brand new one.

Graphics/artifacting issues with new mid-2014 15" MacBookPro Retina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.