Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad: Facetime not ringing under iOS8 if screen is locked

Hello community,

Facetime does not ring in our iPad since we have updated to iOS8. Facetime is still working though, but only if the iPad is active (screen on) it will ring. Otherwise (if screen has been locked for more than 2 minutes), the iPad does not ring or give any notification about an incoming call.

In my familiy, we have 3 different iPad (2x iPad Air + 1x iPad Mini) that we are using at different locations and in all three devices we have observed the same facts:

• if iPad is active (being used), Facetime incoming calls are properly notified and iPad rings: no problem.
  • if iPad is locked (screen has been blocked for more than 2 minutes), iPad does not ring neither displays any incoming call notification. If unlocked later on, FaceTime won't show any missed call at all.
  • if iPad is locked but charging (plugged), then Facetime incoming calls are notified and iPad rings: no problem.

All this is happening in each of our three devices just after we have updated them to the newest firmware (iOS8, now at iOS 8.1.2). After asking around, other iPad users have been experiencing the same issues.

I find it very surprising, not to find any similar issues in these community forums. So far, most FaceTime related problems were solved by either:

• Checking date/time settings
  • checking volume settings
  • checking "no disturb" mode is off
  • checking Facetime Notifications are allowed.

I have tried all possibilities and I can almost certainly say that nothing in my settings is wrong. So far I can observe, it is an issue related to any iPad with the newest firmware and it has apparently to do with the management of incoming Facetime notifications while the screen is locked.

Any help or advice to solve this matter will be kindly appreciated!

Kind Regards

carcose

iPad Air Wi-Fi, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Jan 19, 2015 9:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2017 8:01 PM

I'm having the same issues, but only since the update. I HATE Every. Single. Thing. About the update. Anyhoo, none of my calls come in when it's locked. Did you ever get a solution to turn the stupid silence off? Obviously I've checked the dnd and volume. I'm BEYOND frustrated. I also have cell service on my iPad so it's not the wifi.

User uploaded file

32 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2017 8:01 PM in response to carcose

I'm having the same issues, but only since the update. I HATE Every. Single. Thing. About the update. Anyhoo, none of my calls come in when it's locked. Did you ever get a solution to turn the stupid silence off? Obviously I've checked the dnd and volume. I'm BEYOND frustrated. I also have cell service on my iPad so it's not the wifi.

User uploaded file

Jan 23, 2015 11:16 AM in response to JimHdk

Hi Jim,

thank you for your advice. I have rebooted the router a couple of times, it doesn't seem to change anything.

I have noticed that the problem is similar when trying to use other Apps like Google's Hangouts... I think, it has something to do with the way Push Notifications are processed by the iPad. For instance, in the Mail App (even though it is configured to receive Emails in Push mode) it takes many minutes to notify a new incoming email. I could find a lot of other people with this complaint after updating to iOS8.

In the troubleshooting page for FaceTime is written:

"5. Verify push functionality using Mail or other applications that use this feature. FaceTime uses push notifications to send and receive invitations."

Apparently, my push functionality does not work properly (starting with iOS 8) So now what? All my mail settings are configured to "push", but the service doesn't seem to work right yet.

Any ideas on the topic? Thank you very much for your time!

Kind regards

carcose

Jan 27, 2015 2:50 PM in response to carcose

I have the exact same problem, but I suspected it could be something to do with the iPad locking. I was away, and changed my setting to the same as my sister in law's, and it worked, so I thought it was the lock that was the problem. Now I am home it isn't ringing again, so I think it may be to do with my wifi router. I will try rebooting it, but I'm not convinced that will solve the problem. Will report back if it does

Jan 28, 2015 11:16 AM in response to bobseufert

Just to let you know I downloaded and installed the update, but no change. I read somewhere that it could be to do with DNS on wifi. I changed it as I remember, but I don't understand what DNS is really. I think it could have something to do with my wifi though, as it worked at my brother's house. My router is a Linksys, and if I need to change settings online, I will need some guidance I think. The last time I changed settings on it was when a kind man from my internet provider went through my settings to optimise it for Vodafone Sure Signal, so maybe it could be a setting on that?? Any ideas anyone?

Feb 9, 2015 7:57 AM in response to carcose

My 83 yr old grandfather is also having this problem with his iPad Air iOS 8.1.3 (latest update available) He is visually impaired and canot play around with settings when things go wrong. The issue seems to be that FaceTime won't ring when on lock screen as I have tried calling from my iPhone when actually using the iPad and it rings fine. When I call the iPad and it's on lock screen it doesn't ring and there are no notifications. Once I'd unlocked the screen it eventually &. Briefly rang then just stopped, even although I'd hung up the iphone a good 20 seconds before turning to the iPad. Notifications are on, account set to push in mail settings. Have tried the on and off again thing a few times And resetting network and settings but still has the same problem.

i don't think its a wifi issue as my iphone (6+ ios8.1.2) is not having this problem on same wifi.

if anyone has an answer I'd be grateful as we use FaceTime a lot to check up on my grandfather when we can't make it over to see him.

Mar 4, 2015 6:03 PM in response to carcose

Hi Carcose,

I had the same issue with my mom's new iPad Air 2. The mute button that used to be on the side disappeared on the new generation of iPads. Instead, it has been replaced by a soft key in the pop up menu (see image below).

In order for the iPad to ring again, you just have to make sure the "crossed-out bell" in between the DND and lock screen buttons is disabled.

Hope this helped!

Francois

User uploaded file

iPad: Facetime not ringing under iOS8 if screen is locked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.