Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My 2nd Gen Apple TV seems to have just stopped working with Youtube. Is there a particular reason this has happened ?

My 2nd Gen Apple TV seems to have just stopped working with Youtube. Is there a particular reason this has happened ? All of the other services work correctly.

AppleTV 2, iOS 6, 6.2.1

Posted on Jan 19, 2015 11:24 AM

14 replies

Jan 20, 2015 1:50 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Hi Winston,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question, however I think the issue is deeper than this. The Apple TV does not seem to be able to communicate with Youtube at all, it is not just a question of accessing my content. It is very strange as all other services work fine. It feels to me as if there are fundamental DRM issues that have perhaps been applied somewhere. I would be interested to hear if any other users are having similar issues. This started about a week ago.

Thanks Philbeav

Jan 22, 2015 4:56 PM in response to Philbeav

I have the same issue, also, perhaps not coincidentally on a 2nd gen Apple TV. Have tried logging out and back in, restarts, etc. YouTube works fine on my newer Apple TV in another room. All of the menus are blank, and I see an error message that says there was a communications error between YouTube and my Apple TV. The other apps/channels/ whatever work just fine, however.

Jan 23, 2015 6:09 AM in response to smalik28

OK, so it appears I am not alone with this issue. However, as I am new to this forum and have never had other Apple issues, can anyone advise what happens now and how to get an official Apple response to the question ? It would be great to get a definitive answer to this issue. Thanks in advance for any advice/pointers etc.

Jan 23, 2015 6:30 AM in response to Philbeav

Apple already have a position on such matters. If you have a problem with one particular service and not others, contact the provider.

Contact Apple TV content providers - Apple Support

However, 3 similar reports, do not a problem make. Perhaps there is a problem, perhaps there isn't, but it really doesn't seem to affect many people if there is, believe me when there is a problem it's quite obvious from the additional traffic it causes in these communities. It's also not exactly clear that you are all seeing exactly the same thing.

Jan 23, 2015 6:55 AM in response to Winston Churchill

I have two Apple TV's, one is 2nd gen, it has the problem, one is 3rd gen, it has a new interface that just appears in the last few days. Both run the same login and on the same network. The 3rd gen works fine, the 2nd does not. I really don't care if the problem is with the Apple TV or YouTube, and I am certainly not going to waste my time helping either company solve problems that should have been anticipated prior to release of a new version. My plan is to buy another $35 Chromecast and abandon Apple TV. Seems like a much easier solution.

Jan 23, 2015 7:53 AM in response to da35ve

Hi Guys, I have just tried going through the full system reset to factory settings option, which seemed to also find new software updates. Previously the system indicated that there were no updates available, so something odd had happened. Anyway, after going all through this factory reset process, Youtube has now burst back into life ! I have no idea why this issue suddenly came about, but the factory reset & new S/W update seems to be the answer, Thanks very much to all that responded to my original post, it is much appreciated.

Apr 5, 2015 7:30 PM in response to W A Mozart

I am having this same exact problem. I get the error message saying there was a communications error between YouTube and my Apple TV but every other app/channel on Apple TV works fine. I remember reading about YouTube being updated for Apple TV but it never changed on my device. Trying what Philbeav and W A Mozart did and doing the factory reset, that is in progress right now, hopefully that solves this problem.

My 2nd Gen Apple TV seems to have just stopped working with Youtube. Is there a particular reason this has happened ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.