Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting Cinema Display with mini display port to macbook pro with thunderbolt port

I am trying to connect a 27" cinema display (2010) that has a mini display port cable out of the back, into my macbook pro (2013) with thunderbolt ports. The mini display port cord fits into the thunderbolt port on the Macbook Pro, however the macbook pro does not detect the cinema display and the cinema display does not have any picture on the screen. The USB plugs in fine and sound comes out, and I have the adapter for the magsafe to magsafe 2 and that works fine, it just the actual display. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jan 19, 2015 12:07 PM

1 reply

Jan 20, 2015 2:43 PM in response to mmholt

Hello mmholt,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

It sounds like there’s no video on an Apple Cinema Display that’s connected to your MacBook Pro, and you’re wondering if the configuration is supported. It is supported, take a look at the article linked below for more information.

Thunderbolt ports and displays: Frequently asked questions (FAQ) - Apple Support

1. Can I connect a Mini DisplayPort monitor or monitor using a Mini DisplayPort adapter to a Thunderbolt port on my Thunderbolt-equipped Mac?

Yes. A Mini DisplayPort display or a display connecting with a Mini DisplayPort to VGA, DVI, or HDMI adapter will work just like it was connecting to a Mini DisplayPort connector when plugging in directly to the Thunderbolt connector on your Apple computer. Click here for more information on Mini DisplayPort connections and adapters.

Also, this article provides a lot of great information and troubleshooting tips that will resolve most issues related to video external displays.

Apple computers: Troubleshooting issues with video on internal or external displays - Apple Support

So long,

-Jason

Connecting Cinema Display with mini display port to macbook pro with thunderbolt port

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.