Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I export my iPhoto library to another disk

I want to reformat my hard drive but I want to keep my iPhoto library. Can I temporarily move the whole library to a USB disk or another drive while I am doing this? I just want to be able to get it back on my hard drive after it is cleanly installed. I have been backing up using time machine, so I am assuming I would be able to get my photos off of my backup disk, but I want to be sure to have a redundant backup just to be sure I am able to put my photos back on after the clean install.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Jan 19, 2015 12:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2015 1:13 PM

No problem - but no exporting involved - just dragging

first be sure the EHD you are going to use is formatted Mac OS extended (journaled) - and that you have a default "managed" library (the iPhoto preference to "copy imported items to the iPhoto library is in its checked state) - then

Moving the iPhoto library is safe and simple - quit iPhoto and drag the iPhoto library intact as a single entity to the external drive - depress the option key and launch iPhoto using the "select library" option to point to the new location on the external drive - fully test it and then trash the old library on the internal drive (test one more time prior to emptying the trash)

And be sure that the External drive is formatted Mac OS extended (journaled) (iPhoto does not work with drives with other formats) and that it is always available prior to launching iPhoto

And backup soon and often - having your iPhoto library on an external drive is not a backup and if you are using Time Machine you need to check and be sure that TM is backing up your external drive

To bring it back repeat dragging from the EHD to the pictures folder of the main drive and option launching to switch back

LN

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2015 1:13 PM in response to jlamm

No problem - but no exporting involved - just dragging

first be sure the EHD you are going to use is formatted Mac OS extended (journaled) - and that you have a default "managed" library (the iPhoto preference to "copy imported items to the iPhoto library is in its checked state) - then

Moving the iPhoto library is safe and simple - quit iPhoto and drag the iPhoto library intact as a single entity to the external drive - depress the option key and launch iPhoto using the "select library" option to point to the new location on the external drive - fully test it and then trash the old library on the internal drive (test one more time prior to emptying the trash)

And be sure that the External drive is formatted Mac OS extended (journaled) (iPhoto does not work with drives with other formats) and that it is always available prior to launching iPhoto

And backup soon and often - having your iPhoto library on an external drive is not a backup and if you are using Time Machine you need to check and be sure that TM is backing up your external drive

To bring it back repeat dragging from the EHD to the pictures folder of the main drive and option launching to switch back

LN

how do I export my iPhoto library to another disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.