Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I erase my iPhone 4 without being to connect to iCloud

We recently upgraded and would like to sell our iPhone 4; we were told by an Apple store Genius Bar staff member that our antenna was going bad, and that was the reason we could not connect to WiFi, and the cloud. How can we erase our information from the phone, without being able to do this?

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.1.1

Posted on Jan 19, 2015 1:56 PM

17 replies

Jan 19, 2015 1:59 PM in response to lemonfemme

Make sure Find iPhone is turned off on your phone

Restore your iOS device

1. Connect your iOS device to your computer using the cable that came with it.
  2. Select your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch when it appears in iTunes. ...
  3. Click Restore again to confirm that you want to restore your device to factory settings and delete all data and content.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252

Jan 19, 2015 4:14 PM in response to lemonfemme

Just follow the instructions here -> Use iTunes to restore your iOS device to factory settings - Apple Support

Before you restore your device

1. Make sure you’re using the latest version of iTunes.
  2. Use iTunes to back up your device. Transfer and sync any additional content to your computer.
  3. Turn off Find My iPhone in Settings > iCloud on your device to disable Activation Lock

Jan 19, 2015 5:56 PM in response to Chris CA

Chris CA wrote:

Log into iCloud.com on your computer using your AppleID & password, Select FindMyiPhone, select your device and turn off FindMyiPhone.

But that's not one of the choices, which may be the source of lemonfemme's confusion on how to turn off Find My iPhone and erase the device.

From a web browser, the choices are limited to:

• Play Sound
  • Lost Mode
  • Erase iPhone

Normally the correct choice would be "Erase iPhone", but in this case if there is no internet communication with the iPhone due to a hardware problem, the process may not even start. They can try it and perhaps that will eliminate the iCloud account/ data for the iPhone, but it won't erase the iPhone itself (but they can do that from the computer, assuming Find My iPhone can be turned off in this particular case). Quite the conundrum ...

Jan 19, 2015 7:06 PM in response to lemonfemme

I know that basically you have 3 ways to erase all data on your iphone:

1). Use iTunes to restore your iPhone to factory settings. Here is the guide:Use iTunes to restore your iOS device to factory settings - Apple Support

2) Use iCloud to erase all data on your iPhone. Though you said that your iPhone can't be connected to Wi-Fi, it doesn't matter at all if you have enabled the 'Find My iPhone' previously. Just open www.icloud.com in a web browser on your computer > log in with your Apple ID > click "Find My iPhone" > from there, find the your iPhone in the list and choose to erase data from it.

3) On your iPhone, you should firstly tap Setting > iCloud > swipe "Find My iPhone" to OFF. After then tap Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings.

How can I erase my iPhone 4 without being to connect to iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.