Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updated iPhoto but won't open with Yosemite, why?

Updated to Yosemite, said to update iPhoto. Downloaded iPhoto but it will not open. Help.

Posted on Jan 19, 2015 3:31 PM

15 replies

Apr 9, 2015 9:26 AM in response to lcsale

With the amount of information you've provided it's impossible to offer a solution. We can't see your computer so we need to know the details of your problem and setup, i.e.:

• what version of iPhoto are you using?
  • what system version are you running?
  • what do you see in the iPhoto window when you try to launch iPhoto?
  • what fixes have you tried?
  • where is your library located?
  • did you apply any updates or upgrades just prior to the problem occurring?
  • are you running a "managed" or "referenced" library?

User uploaded file

• what type of Mac?
  • how much free space on your boot drive?

Apr 9, 2015 10:23 AM in response to Old Toad

Found this on another thread:

jeudi999Apr 9, 2015 10:07 AM

Yosemite with Photos app :

Apple wrote : You can still use your original photo library with iPhoto 9.6.1 and Aperture 3.6 after you've migrated it to Photos. Any changes you make in iPhoto or Aperture after you migrate to Photos, like image edits or album changes, will be visible only in iPhoto or Aperture.

BUT does it mean what it says. There is still an iPhoto Library on your Laptop... and ‘copies’ are sent to the cloud to be used by other devices.

See my question above. We are 1000 miles from any CLOUD source when at sea. I need to be able to use/work with photos.

Apr 9, 2015 10:40 AM in response to LDoza45

With the amount of information you've provided it's impossible to offer a solution. We can't see your computer so we need to know the details of your problem and setup, i.e.:

• what version of iPhoto are you using?
  • what system version are you running?
  • have you upgraded to 10.10.3 and converted your library to Photos?
  • have you enabled iCloud Photo Library in Photos?
  • if you've converted over to Photos these Apple documents can help you get started with Photos:

Photos Help

Photos

Get started with Photos for OS X - Apple Support

Apr 9, 2015 11:08 AM in response to Old Toad

When I try to launch iPhoto absolutely nothing happens. Running latest yosemite 10.3.3 on macbook pro. The iPhoto was original to the macbook which came with snow leopard w/all updates sent by Apple. Changed to mavericks, had mail issues for about a year or so.... then finally did the Yosemite update. I look into the help pages you listed....

Apr 9, 2015 4:48 PM in response to Old Toad

Well,,, what a weird day. When I logged on today iPhoto was in my tool bar. I tried to open to search for a picture. That's when I discovered the problem.

Before I started searching for a solution noticed a update available for Yosemite (upgraded last week to the Yos.. iOS) So,,,, while the update downloading (which took several hours...very slow internet) I was searching thru Apple help and finally found you. After system finally updated, got your reply and went looking thru my files before I had to leave for an appt. Now am home and noticed Photos app replaced the iPhoto,,,AND of course once I opened it there they all were. All for nothing?! but I did learn something new so all's not in vain. Thanks so much again for your help:))

Apr 25, 2015 8:31 AM in response to Old Toad

OT, thank you for the info. I was able to discover I only have 9.5.1 (in spite of taking every upgrade apple sends me). So now I'm forced to use Photo? I just upgraded to Yosemite 10.10.3. I tried opening iPhoto and it wouldn't, and it sent me to the app store for which there was no upgrade.

I do have one question that might make Photo work better for me. I had been using picture titles to sort old scanned photos (because they only have the scan date, not the actual date). I've found many tutorials on how to bulk rename photos in the finder as you can't do this anymore in Photo. I have searched and searched and can't find the files anywhere in order to rename them. I've tried following the screenshots provided and I have no path like those. Can you tell me the folder path I should use?

Second, before I invest too much time in titles, it seems that Photo won't sort by title anymore, only by date. Is there any way around that, so if I retitle, I can sort, then apply new dates in the right order? I just start each year with Jan 1 and increment, but it's better than having them all scrambled in the Event/Album.

Or do I need to change both the date (so it will sort) and the title (I still like using titles to help me remember the nature of the picture)?

Thank you, Cindy

Apr 25, 2015 8:43 AM in response to clcooper88

I tried opening iPhoto and it wouldn't, and it sent me to the app store for which there was no upgrade.

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

Updated iPhoto but won't open with Yosemite, why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.