Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod touch 5th gen won't accept wifi password

My daughter just got her iPod touch 5th gen 32GB (iOS 8.1.1) for x-mas and has had no problems connecting to our wifi until yesterday. It sees the wifi but when we ask to join, all of a sudden, it says "Incorrect Password for (wifi name)... " but i know it is correct. I've tried to enter it dozens of times but no luck. I've also asked other people to enter it but no luck there either. All of our other devices can connect with no problem so I know its really not the password despite the message. Our other daughter got an identical iPod touch at x-mas also and she hasn't had any problems connecting on her device.

I have tried to reset the network settings twice now. I have also forgotten the network & tried to rejoin multiple times - no luck. I've noticed none of the router or IP settings are showing on the device, even though that info does show on my iPhone 5s while its not connected. It's like it see's the wifi but it's not receiving any info.

Please help!

iPod touch, iOS 8.1.1, 5th gen

Posted on Jan 19, 2015 3:58 PM

2 replies

Jan 19, 2015 4:09 PM in response to 3kidsl

Does the iOS device connect to other networks? If yes that tends to indicate a problem with your network.

Does the iOS device see the network?

Any error messages?

Do other devices now connect?

Did the iOS device connect before?

Try the following to rule out a software problem:

- Reset the iOS device. Nothing will be lost

Reset iOS device: Hold down the On/Off button and the Home button at the same time for at

least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

- Power off and then back on your router

.- Reset network settings: Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings

- iOS: Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

- Wi-Fi: Unable to connect to an 802.11n Wi-Fi network

- iOS: Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points

- Restore from backup. See:

iOS: How to back up

- Restore to factory settings/new iOS device.

If still problem and it does not connect to any networks make an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store since it appears you have a hardware problem.

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

Mar 3, 2015 6:26 PM in response to 3kidsl

Same issue cropped up in recent months on a 5th gen model MD749LL/A running iOS 8.1.3 that had been working for the year prior. The timing of my issue (and yours) suggests a possible correlation with an iOS 8.x release, but I can't know for sure, especially since others have been experiencing something similar for some time. It appears to be hit-or-miss with different networks (I can connect to some, including an iPhone or Time Machine). All the resets and restores and restarts in the world (of the iPod and the router) did nothing to help. Also, this Apple article discussing WMM didn't help either (since it is already enabled on my router).

Here's what did work for me: connect not to the 2.4 GHz band of the router, but to its 5 GHz band. This is easy to do with a dual-band router where the 5 GHz band is configured with a different SSID.

iPod touch 5th gen won't accept wifi password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.