Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What file system is required by Aperture?

I tried to create a new library for Aperture on my external hard drive. I got this message: "The library could not be created because the file system of the destination volume is not supported. My external drive is: MSDOS FAT32

I already have files, backups and photo files stored on this drive from my iMac. (OS X newest version)

How can I get around this?

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10), Parallels Desktop and Windows 7

Posted on Jan 19, 2015 4:01 PM

6 replies

Jan 19, 2015 4:22 PM in response to Bills37

Photo Libraries (Aperture or iPhoto) need to be stored on volumes formatted MacOS Extended (Journaled). All other formats are incompatible and can cause data loss. See these documents:

If you want to store your Aperture library on that drive, move the current contents to a different drive and format the drive with Disk Utility to MacOS Extended.

If this drive is your backup drive, consider to get a second drive for Aperture. You will need to backup your photo library anyway, and the backup should be on a different drive.

Jan 21, 2015 4:08 PM in response to léonie

I sure wish this information was available to me before I bought my iMac with Parallels and Windows 7 and a 500 G ext. HD. I wanted the external drive for backup of old Windows files and Microsoft Publisher old and new files, plus Quicken backup and new Mac files, but I don't need half the storage space that I bought for that purpose. I also wanted to store thousands of pictures going back 115 years in separate Libraries. The external drive was formatted for me to do both.

I wonder if I reformat the external drive I have to please Aperture, will that file also be able to save my Quicken (Windows) backup?

Or should I purchase a second external hard drive for Windows backups. It would be smaller than 500 G.

What file system is required by Aperture?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.