Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Move Logic to new SSD on same computer?? How to

I have a mid-2010 Macbook Pro 15 inch 2.53 GHz i5 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 model that I am thinking about upgrading to a new SSD. What are the proper steps to get Logic Express onto my new drive? I want to make sure I get everything just right because sometimes I have a hard time understanding computers!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), null

Posted on Jan 19, 2015 7:37 PM

7 replies

Jan 19, 2015 7:46 PM in response to DRH85

Do you already have your Mac running & setup as desired?

It should be a case of using a tool like Carbon Copy Cloner or Disk Utility to copy the entire system data onto the new disk. You will need a case or a 'sata dock' to be able to read the two disks at the same time. Make sure you have a case when you order the SSD.

It isn't clear if you have something else in mind, like clean installing etc.

If the Mac is running badly or your SSD is too small you may have to consider different options, please elaborate on what you have planned so far.

Jan 19, 2015 8:36 PM in response to Drew Reece

Drew,

Thanks for the quick response. I apologize for not being more specific.

Do you already have your Mac running & setup as desired?

No. I am in the beginning phases of searching for the new SSD and potentially to 8 GB RAM for a boost in lieu of a new Macbook. I have a 1TB external hard drive I hope to fill up with the contents of my current 500 GB internal hard drive. From here I would like to pick and choose the files that make its way to the new SSD.

I really appreciate the help, thank you.

Dan

Jan 19, 2015 9:39 PM in response to DRH85

In that case you are may want to start with a clean install of OS X on the SSD. You would need to install all the apps if you choose this route.

You can use Apples tools to move data from the previous installation (Migration Assistant), or you can pick & choose to move data manually. I'm unsure which would be best for you. If you have a lot invested in your current system (such as many apps with many custom settings, custom scripts & complex workflows) you may consider copying all the user account data. Migration Assistant can copy the entire user data as 'one big lump', but you must have enough free space on the SSD to take it all.

Otherwise you could create a new user account on the new system & then recreate settings for your apps & copy over the files you need.

I'd still recommend a case for the old disk.

Logic Express has been discontinued…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logic_Express

Do you already own a copy? If not you may be better off using Logic Pro? It's unclear how well Logic Express works on Mavericks or Yosemite, this site usually has user experiences with older software on newer OS's, but it is empty for 10.9 & 10.10…

http://roaringapps.com/app/logic-express

Jan 20, 2015 4:18 PM in response to Drew Reece

I currently have a 500GB hard drive with about 430GB filled. Plan on backing everything up on a 1TB external hard drive I have and from there moving only what I want onto the likely 256GB SSD. It's the process of moving all the apps as well as all the "technical" behind the scenes items I worry about (I'm just a simple user and computer stuff goes over my head real quickly. Typically I do my own research but on this subject I wanted to ask the community). As far as investment in current system as you have defined I would say very little. I use the computer for simple applications such as browsing internet, streaming video etc as well as recording music on Logic Express. My Logic works fine right now on OS X Mavericks (10.9.5) however the price I saw for Logic Pro wasn't bad so if I experience issues upgrading to Pro won't be a huge issue.

Apps that I use a lot

Logic - not a lot of plug ins. Primarily Toontrack

Spotify

iPhoto

iMovie

Origin (Sim City)

QuickTime Player

Fluenz (similar to Rosetta Stone)

Safari

Basically get all of these safely onto my new SSD as well as getting the new OS up and running without any issues is my main concern. Almost like starting up a brand new computer. I've thought about just having the genius bar walk me through it but getting them on the phone simply to ask for a cost estimate has proven difficult. From there I'll move over songs, pictures, documents etc that I want on my Mac from the external drive.

Jan 20, 2015 5:21 PM in response to DRH85

Are you planning to fit the SSD yourself or are you going to get someone else to do that?

Here is what I would do, hopefully someone else will appear & correct me or offer other ideas.

Download 10.9 from the store before you do fit the SSD.

Use http://diskmakerx.com/ to make a bootable USB stick of the 10.9 installer (or follow Apples instructions Create a bootable installer for OS X Mavericks or Yosemite ... )

Fit the SSD (or have it fitted).

Boot from the USB stick by connecting it, holding 'alt' at startup, select the installer, run that to setup the SSD (you may need to format the SSD but the installer should step you through it).

During install use Setup Assistant (it's basically the same as Migration Assistant).

Connect the old HD & choose the option to migrate the User account (leave the applications & other data disabled).

When completed you will have the same user on the new disk.

The Applications are left on the old disk, it's better to reinstall them in my opinion.

You will need to reinstall the following apps - get them direct from the App store or from the developers site.

Logic Express - you should use your original installer disk or get Logic Pro as an App store download.

App Store

• iPhoto
  • iMovie

See the developer own sites

• Spotify
  • Origin (Sim City)
  • Fluenz (similar to Rosetta Stone)

Built in to OS X (no need to do anything)

Mar 1, 2015 7:24 AM in response to Drew Reece

Drew,

I apologize for the late response. I have taken your advice and finally have everything with me to make the change. Already installed is 8GB of RAM from Crucial. no issues there. I have purchased the MX100 512GB SSD from Crucial as well that I am preparing to install. I have read about the issues with third party drives in Yosemite. Because of this I will stay in Mavericks for now until I learn more.

Because as mentioned earlier I am not very good with computers I have put together hopefully a step by step guide even the extreme novice like me can hopefully get by with. I have one question on you suggestions. I have copied your text in italics, my questions are in bold

During install use Setup Assistant (it's basically the same as Migration Assistant).

Connect the old HD (Can I connect to my external HD that backed up my old HD via Time Machine?) & choose the option to migrate the User account (leave the applications & other data disabled). (what happens if I opt to not do this step, not migrating User account information, what would be the Pros / Cons... another basic question I guess would be what exactly is in these User Accounts... anything that if I did not migrate over would give me issues?)

When completed you will have the same user on the new disk.

The Applications are left on the old disk, it's better to reinstall them in my opinion.

My Step by Step guide that if confirmed on here I will move forward with! Very excited and hope I got this correct.

Create bootable MAC OS X Mavericks USB Flash Drive

• App Store - Download OS X Mavericks from Purchases

Done

Now found in the Applications folder (leave right there)

• Plug in USB Flash drive (minimum 8gb)
  • Go to Utilities

Launch Disc Utility

Find USB Flash Drive on left hand side

Format this drive

• Click on Erase (tab towards top)
    • Format: Mac OS Etended (Journaled)
  • Name: “installMavericks”
  • Click Erase button at bottom
  • Launch Terminal
    • Copy and paste text below. replace the red “Untitled” with the name of the USB drive (installMavericks) - case sensitive and keep the space after installMavericks
    • click enter - put in password
    • will take approx 20-30 minutes
    • If message says Done I now have a USB drive with Mac OS X Mavericks right on it

what happens if there is an issue?

Text to put in terminal

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --nointeraction

Upgrade HD to SSD

• I have backed up my current HD on an external 1TB drive via Time Machine

I plan to do a Fresh/Clean install of the Mac OS Mavericks. I will individually bring over songs, pictures, movies, documents etc from the external HD that has the last x amount of my Time Machine Backups of current/soon to be old HD

• Open Macbook Case
  • loosen two screws, pull the entire strip out. The screws do not come out, only loosen
  • Pull hard drive out with the clear strip of (paper?)
  • careful, still connected to SATA cable
  • once removed - use TORX screw driver to remove the 4 screws on the Hard drive and transfer them into the same spot on the SSD
  • connect SSD to the SATA connector
  • put the SSD back into its bay by lining up the 4 screws to the locations within the bay
  • add back the strip that had the two screws from earlier. tighten screws
  • put case back on.
  • Plug in USB into computer and turn on computer
  • Will boot to the Mac OS Utilities
  • go to “Disc Utility”

Find SSD on the left

go to Erase Tab to repartition

Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Name: example “new SSD”

click erase at the bottom

Exit out of Disc Utility

• go to “Reinstall OS X”

Click continue

go through the screens and menus… (not sure what happens here) assuming this is loading the OS Mavericks from the USB to new SSD

• after this step is the installation complete?
  • what will be on the new SSD?
    • iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, Garage Band, QuickTime player etc

will these need to be re-downloaded from the App store etc

• Logic Pro X, Toontracks, Fluenz etc.

these I need to re-download from the sites using serial keys etc. (I have decided to just buy the new Logic Pro X so that I can do the clean install and leave my old Logic Express behind where I have lost the disc that came with it)

• From here I can connect my external 1TB drive that had my previous HD backed up on it and pick and choose what songs, movies, pictures, documents etc that I want to drag onto my new SSD
  • DONE !! ??

Sorry for the long post. Wouldn't make sense not to reach out to this awesome community though. Thanks again for all the help. I realize I am responding to an old post so I may end up re-posting this as a new topic.

Daniel

Mar 2, 2015 10:31 AM in response to DRH85

Yes you can migrate from a Time Machine backup. My preference is to make a bootable clone so that I can restart from the old OS if required, but Time Machine should be OK too.

If you do not migrate user data then you simply have a Mac with none of your old files. The 'user data' is everything inside /Users/USERNAME, it is also called 'Home' for the logged in user (use 'Finder, Go Menu > Home' to examine the contents of your user account).

That includes everything that you save, and edit (under normal circumstances). All of your iTunes data is in the Music folder, all of the iPhoto data is inside pictures for example. The general idea is to store everything you personally need inside the user account.

The Library is where all your preferences & settings & supporting files are kept, there is a hidden one inside your home folder. That can occasionally cause issues when migrating (old settings can conflict on new OS's) however these are quite rare in my experience - the benefit of having all your old personal data usually outweighs the risks.

Note: migrating Applications is risker since it also copies many old supporting files across the entire OS.

Your plan seems fine heres a few notes…

If you are worried about Terminal use http://diskmakerx.com to make the USB bootable drive instead, either will work. The red replacement looks correct.

I don't know the full HD removal procedure for your model but it looks OK, iFixit guides are good for a confirmation & additional pictures…

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide

Just remember clean hands, clean work area, and discharge your static on something that is grounded 🙂.

Once the OS is installed you will have Apple's default apps, from the ones you mentioned…

iTunes, QuickTime player will be installed by the OS.

iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand are part of iLife, they are not part of 10.10. You will need to reinstall them from the App store. There are different ways to get them, you may have purchased in the app store or upgraded them from a version that ships with the Mac. Check they are in your App store account, if not it may be another purchase or time to look for older iLife install DVD's (older versions are less compatible).

Grab the other apps from the developer sites, it's a good time to review that they are 10.10 compatible, stay away from 'download.cnet.c o m' & other 'software download aggregators' they have a habit of bundling junk (mostly adware) into installers.

You can move your songs & other files back by hand if you wish. I suspect you may want to move all of your iTunes, & iPhoto data in one go. Bear in mind some settings are preferences (stored in your home library) and some data is stored in the application database, like the iTunes library or iPhoto. Migration assistant take away the issue with knowing where all these supporting files are located (and which ones are important).

Move Logic to new SSD on same computer?? How to

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.