Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do TV shows from iTunes take so much longer than netflix on apple tv?

I have an apple TV and when I try to watch shows from apple, it takes 2-3 hours to download….whereas I can watch movies and shows on netflix almost instantaneously on the same apple tv. I know it's not the wifi connection…because otherwise my netflix would be slow too. I have a Roku on my other TV and can watch HD movies instantly as well on the same wifi. It's only shows/movies from apple that are slow. What's the point of renting a movie from apple when it will take 3 hours to download. Very frustrating…about ready to buy a Roku to replace this apple

Posted on Jan 19, 2015 6:51 PM

13 replies

Jan 19, 2015 7:02 PM in response to eg fish

That will be due to your network. Netflix adapts to the connection where iTunes is at a fixed rate and higher quality. It also needs to load a portion before playback begins.

What is your current connection via speedtest.net? You will need at least 6mbps

Make sure DNS is on auto (settings - general - network)

Using Ethernet will help rule out wifi issues

Jan 19, 2015 7:14 PM in response to vazandrew

So the wifi (via the apple airport) to my mac is 4.5mbps. As I'm trying to watch an episode on homeland (45 minutes long), my apple tv says it will take about 2.5 hours before I can even start watching the program. I'm no math whiz but even at 4.5mbps, I would think it should be faster than 2.5 hours (9,000 seconds). So it sounds like netflix on Apple TV is a smarter than iTunes and automatically adjusts the quality based on the speed? What about iTunes on my Mac? I'm able to watch the exact same homeland episode on my mac almost instantly. I don't have to wait 2.5 hours for it to start…and it's the same wifi connection. So is my Mac also smarter than the apple tv at managing downloads from iTunes?

Jan 19, 2015 7:28 PM in response to eg fish

4.5 is not enough to view instantly. No, Netflix is adapting to the connection and thus you are getting lower quality. You can also switch to SD if you wish to view lower resolution via iTunes. That 2.5 hours is an estimate. You may also be experiencing interference over wifi, each device will be impacted differently, which will cause such figures. Using ethernet will help rule that out. If you are using a 3rd party DNS that will also impact performance.

Content is playing back within 5 seconds on my system and for most.

Jan 19, 2015 7:55 PM in response to eg fish

You are likely experiencing interference on top of your limited speed, this will not impact all devices in the same way. iTunes is not available on Roku, most others are using adaptive streaming like Netflix

Best to troubleshoot

Try ethernet and/or get a network report by going to istumbler or similar. The report will show signal strength, noise, nearby networks.

You are also free to test on another network

Feb 1, 2015 3:41 PM in response to Mad at Mac

Internet speed is only one factor. As stated above, Netflix adapts to the connection where iTunes is at a fixed rate and higher quality. It also needs to load a portion before playback begins.

Did you verify DNS?

If on wifi try ethernet

To see a status of your network you can get a report by going to istumbler, netstumbler or similar. It will show signal strength, noise, nearby networks.

You could also test on another network

Aug 27, 2015 1:31 PM in response to vazandrew

Makes no difference. I can swap between a purchased film and a rented film. Rented film always gives the delay. Purchased film plays almost immediately.

I get 1.5meg/second downloads on all other devices and can stream purchased movies without any lag to my Apple TV. So for me there is a "feature" in the rental code that isn't in the purchased code (or Netflix!)

Why do TV shows from iTunes take so much longer than netflix on apple tv?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.