Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automatic capitalisation after Colon in Mac Mail

Searching this forum I see this issue dates back to 2010 and yet today running Yosemite it still hasn't been fixed. Surely an option could be provided in Mail>Preferences to capitalise the first letter in a new sentence. interestingly when I go to Apple Support under OSX Applications, Mail is not listed. so I can't even get to first base.

This feature is available in other native apps so why not Mail?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), iPhone iOS 7.0.6

Posted on Jan 19, 2015 8:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2015 9:59 AM

Mail is a choice here in "Feedback Area"...

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

6 replies

Jan 21, 2015 2:00 AM in response to MorrisSoak

So now I can feedback, how does that solve my issue? The site in the link even states that I will not be replied to. So I am just adding my name to an unknown number of other people who have complained about this over the years yet despite all of the predicted improvements with OSX 10.10.1 we are still waiting. Mail has most if not all of the problems it had in previous OS's especially communicating with gMail. Given that the iOS version of Mail already capitalises the first letter after a full stop why doesn't OSX Mail? Hopeless, am I to still think of my MBP as a typewriter.

Jan 21, 2015 2:48 AM in response to MorrisSoak

Well, wilst it's mostly a Round File,it's the only normal option we have, & I hear that a couple of times they actually did reply & ask for more info.. out of the 100s of millions they likely get.

OSX has gone down hill since 10.4.11, & worse now that they want to turn my Macs into iDevices… I don't need a 27" iPhone! 😝

Being a one finger typist & not remembering ever using a colon in an eMail, I figure I could bring my thumb into play on the Shift key if needed, so I'm having a bit of trouble with your underlying problem, yet I truly was trying to help by offering the only means us mortals have to relay info/concerns/complaints to Apple. 🙂

When I grew up & went to school, boys trying to sign up for sewing, cooking, typing, or Girl's Gym class were promptly kicked out of school! 👿

PS. I touched an iPhone once, but it wasn't my choice.

Jan 21, 2015 3:31 AM in response to BDAqua

Sorry I realise you were trying to help and I did use the link you provided so thank you. A colon is a full stop by the way, I see you do use them so you must understand my problem. Or do I understand you correctly, that you don't use full stops in emails? I have a friend like that who uses no capitals and no punctuation at all. His emails are just a continuous stream of text, it takes some practice to understand what he is saying believe me.

Mail on the iPhone puts a capital after every full stop, exclamation mark, and question mark so (I ask) why not, after all of the advertised improvements to Mail in OSX 10.10.1 incorporate what has been a long standing issue into the prefs? Some people in the threads I've read even want auto capitalisation after a semicolon.

My point is this MBP is a cutting edge piece of technology (so Apple says) so why should I have to type like I'm using a 1950's typewriter?

Jan 21, 2015 4:00 AM in response to MorrisSoak

Sorry,not familiar with a colon being a full stop!???

Apple has far bigger problems with the latest OSX...

http://glog.glennf.com/blog/2015/1/6/the-software-and-services-apple-needs-to-fi x

Some people in the threads I've read even want auto capitalisation after a semicolon.

Whoa, that would low me away twerst it some rule! English in real life is far different than internet help, one may need to use periods to express an IP… 192.xxx.yyy.zz, or to relay an exact dialog with a colon or other character, can you show me an example of how you use colons that need a Cap after them? And would not a space after a colon add to the clarity??

Automatic capitalisation after Colon in Mac Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.