Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Terminal won't accept command. Keeps "Restoring" previous command

Hi,

I am on OSX 10.9.5 and I have a mysterious problem with Terminal restoring old commands after I insert a new command, so I can't get it to accept the new command.

A greyed out line appears in the Terminal window saying [Restored] as in the attached pic. (I have blurred my ID details in the pic).

User uploaded file

I have also tried to restore it to defaults in Preferences, but it won't do that either. I just get [Restored] again.

Has anyone got any ideas what is making it do this please?

Just for background, I had originally entered the command line:

defaults write com.apple.mail AddressesIncludeNameOnPasteboard -bool false

and I am trying to change it back by entering the command line:

defaults write com.apple.mail AddressesIncludeNameOnPasteboard -bool true

But as I say, it won't accept it. It just restores the previous command, and it won't restore defaults either.

Thanks

Sarah

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jan 19, 2015 9:21 PM

4 replies

Feb 27, 2015 5:50 AM in response to Sazza

do you have any of the following files?

.bash_profile

.bash_login

.bashrc

.profile

If so, then it is possible this message is coming from a shell initialization file.

Because these files begin with a period, the Finder will not display them so you are going to have to use the Terminal " ls -a " command.

Terminal -> Shell -> New Command... -> /bin/ls -l .bash_profile .bash_login .profile .bashrc

These files DO NOT exist by default, so you may see things like

-ls: .bash_login: No such file or directory

-ls: .profile: No such file or directory

That is perfectly OK.

But if you see:

-rw-r--r-- 1 me staff 32776 Feb 6 14:10 .bash_profile

-rw-r--r-- 1 me staff 63633 Feb 4 15:04 .bashrc

Then you have one of the files, and it is possible that the contents of that shell initialization script are affecting the behavior inside the Terminal.

Terminal won't accept command. Keeps "Restoring" previous command

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.