Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't sign into Outlook mail using System Preferences

I just got a new Mac Mini - my first Mac - and I can't sign into my Outlook mail in System Preferences. It keeps saying the password is incorrect.

In reality - I don't understand what is happening. I have Outlook signed into my iPhone and iPad; why isn't it working on Mac? Its using password verification to send messages on my iDevices, so its not like my password is wrong - or else I wouldn't be able to send messages. Any idea what is wrong on the Mac and my Outlook?

Thanks very much for reading!

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Jan 19, 2015 11:56 PM

19 replies

Jan 20, 2015 8:34 AM in response to lllaass

Nah, I still have the problem. I signed into Outlook.com in Safari on the Mac and it worked; but it won't in System Preferences.

it wants me to set it up manually. I have no clue how to do that. I have my 2nd-dary Outlook account signed into System Preferences just fine; but it's my main Outlook - which is my main address - that won't sign in.

THanks for helping!

Jan 20, 2015 8:37 AM in response to EllieMellie

Here are the manual settings for Outlook.com mail.

Incoming (IMAP) Server

Server address: imap-mail.outlook.com

Port: 993

Encrypted Connection: SSL

Outgoing (SMTP) Server

Server address: smtp-mail.outlook.com

Port: 25 (or 587 if 25 is blocked)

Authentication: Yes

Encrypted Connection: TLS

User name: Your email address

Password: Your password

Jan 20, 2015 9:23 AM in response to EllieMellie

Do you think the problem is that my Outlook is an "alias" I created for my Hotmail?

I login to Outlook.com with my Hotmail email; the first few days that Outlook mail came out, I went and created an "alias" for my Outlook email. It has an inbox inside my Hotmail account.

I'd have no problem logging in with my Hotmail address and using that - since I can get my Outlook mail from it - but, just like iOS, I cant send mail from it unless I have it in System Preferences. And I only have Hotmail - not Outlook - in there.

Does that make sense?

Thanks again!

Jan 20, 2015 11:35 AM in response to EllieMellie

Let's take this a step at a time.

Go back to the SMTP server settings and verify that each Outlook server has the correct password and userid for the account it is sending from, verify that 'Use only this server' is checked. Verify that all other settings are correct (TLS is on, Authentication is checked), when you have done that go back to Mail and run the connection doctor (Window Menu>Connection Doctor)

Can't sign into Outlook mail using System Preferences

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.