Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Headphone Issues?

I have been experiencing issues with headphone playback on my iBook G4 for at least several months now. The specific issue I am having is that whenever sound is playing out of one sound channel (left-side only or right-side only) it sounds perfectly fine (it is monaural though). However, as soon as both channels are turned on, the sound becomes extremely distorted, sounding the worst when it's perfectly balanced panning-wise.

This issue seems to occur throughout all of the programs, so it's not specific to a single program. The sound outputs normally through the system speakers, and the headphones I use are in perfectly useable condition, so I'm under the impression that it may be a hardware-related issue, specifically in terms of the headphone jack, but I'm not 100% sure.

Any ideas as to what might be causing this problem (and any suggested solutions as well) ? 😕

iBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11), G4 Model

Posted on Jan 20, 2015 2:49 AM

2 replies

Jan 24, 2015 12:13 PM in response to Harikunojo

If the issue persists and a different set of known-good headphones do no better,

you could try & see if a reset of the Power Management Unit (PMU) could help.

•Resetting PowerBook and iBook Power Management Unit (PMU) - Apple Support

Not sure if a reset of the Parameter Random Access Memory (PRAM) would.

{The instruction for this uses same keyboard combination as a NVRAM reset.}

•How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

With the PMU reset, be sure the method you try is for your model of portable Mac.

Sometimes the results vary along with the method attempted, especially if incorrect.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Headphone Issues?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.