Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Retina 15 + iPad 3

Dear forum users,

Usually when I plug in my iPad 3 into the left USB port of my Macbook Pro Retina 15 inch the iPad keeps jumping between connected and disconnected. Weirdly enough this doesn't happen in the right USB port.

It also happens inconsistently, when i plugged in the Apple Keyboard with USB ports it worked fine. When directly plugged in it gives the errors. Sometimes it does work normally but usually I have the problem as mentioned above.

I am using a third party 30-pin connecter cable.

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Jan 20, 2015 6:39 AM

3 replies

Jan 21, 2015 8:59 AM in response to evenwerk

Hey there evenwerk,

Do the USB connection issues, where your iPad disconnects or isn’t recognized by your MacBook Pro, occur when using the USB cable that came with the device? The article linked below provides a lot of great information and troubleshooting tips that will resolve most issues like this one.

Get help with hardware features on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Not seen in iTunes / USB connection issues

See these articles for help with this issue:

So long,

-Jason

Jan 21, 2015 9:09 AM in response to Jason L

Hi Jason,

Unfortunately my original 30 pin cable is broken. I bought a third party cable because of the (in my opinion) poor quality of the cable. I tried another 3rd party cable which showed exactly the same problem in the left port, no problems in the right one. I also used an iPad 2 which doesn't show the problems at all on both ports. When I went to an authorized reseller last week the problem did not show up, but now it's showing again. When I use the keyboard to extend it, it works fine, but directly connected it's showing problems again.

Macbook Pro Retina 15 + iPad 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.