Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot watch movie using airplay via ipad to apple tv, error occurred loading content

As of a few days ago, I am no longer able to watch a movie on my tv through the airplay feature via apple tv and ipad. I have updated all IOS devices, reconnected to the internet, shut down my modem and started it back up. unplugged all cables, tried using different IOS devices; but I keep coming up with the same error "an error occurred loading this content. try again later". I am able to watch the movie on my iphone/ipad but it just does not work when trying to airplay it to my tv. It worked last week but stopped all of the sudden. Anyone figure this out?

Posted on Jan 20, 2015 7:14 AM

14 replies

Jan 20, 2015 9:09 AM in response to derwil5103

Welcome to the Apple Community.

Try the following steps, check whether things are working after each step where appropriate, before trying the next.

1. Check AirPlay is turned on on the Apple TV (turn it off and on if it already is)
  2. Check that both devices are on the same network (Settings > Wifi, on the mobile device and Settings > General > Network, on the Apple TV).
  3. Restart the Apple TV (Settings > General > Restart).
  4. Restart the Apple TV by removing ALL the cables for 30 seconds.
  5. Restart your router. (Also try removing it’s power cord for at least 30 seconds)
  6. Restart your mobile device.

If you are still having problems, the following article(s) may help you.

Troubleshooting AirPlay

Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

Recommended Wi-Fi settings

Wifi Diagnostic Software (for Mac users)

You may also find some help on this page, where I’ve collected some of the more unusual solutions to network issues.

When making adjustments to your network for better optimisation, you may find some of the points mentioned on this page helpful.

Mar 21, 2015 3:14 AM in response to Alley_Cat

The movie plays fine on my iPad. Just continual errors when trying to AirPlay.

Managed to get one playing after 3 power cycles of the router and ATV at the same time. It's an error with movies only. TV shows are fine. Not sure why but it's definitely the ATV and not my content or network. Power cycling it several times seems to get it to work but it shouldn't be the case every time I want to play a movie. And it's only started happening in the last few weeks

Mar 21, 2015 3:38 AM in response to Durb Sttor

It's hard to say exactly what causes these things.

Over the years I've had various issues streaming from itunes to AppleTV (all generations) - once it was a failing Netgear router, another iTunes seemed to be opening multiple connections to the same device and for some reason this causes issues but one day it just settled out of the blue, other times there are intermittent issues.

I've never felt that Apple's streaming subsystem has been particularly robust at handling devices leaving/returninhg to the local LAN, or at gracefully renewing connections when devices sleep/wake. Currently for example if I have been playing music to my amp via Airplay, iTunes will give an error saying it's not available if the amp is sleeping, but immediately after I deselect the amp and play on Computer the amp appears again as an Airplay target - suspect iTunes does not give it long enough to wake.

In summary these kinds of issues are incredibly annoying when they won't work properly - sometimes the AppleTV may be at fault, other times it's other devices/factors. The hard part is tracking down exactly what is causing the problem.

cannot watch movie using airplay via ipad to apple tv, error occurred loading content

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.