Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sprint is unable to activate my old iPhone 4s on their network

I have an iPhone 4s that I bought from Sprint in 10/2011 and upgraded to an iPhone 5s in 10/2013. Since then my daughter has been using the 4s as an iPod and it was never activated on any other carrier. I purchased this phone, fulfilled my 2-year contractual commitment and I have all the documentation to back it up.

Now I am trying to get that phone added to my account as a 2nd line but Sprint is unable to do it.

The ESN/EMEI shows as clear in their database, however, when they try to activate it, they get some dubious message.

I have spent countless hours over the last 3 weeks in the Sprint store and with their online support to no avail.

I have received all kinds of BS excuses and 'explanations' such as "the phone has been inactive for too long" or "the device was used on another carrier".

Sprint support even went so far as telling me to jailbreak the phone to get it unlocked.

They simply will not activate it and it does not seem like they will go past the activation process and quit when they get the error message.

They are trying to get me to get a 'free' iPhone 5c but I do not want to have a 2-year contract for a 10-year old and the 5c models they carry are 8 GB only.

The only things I have done last fall was to check online on TING to see whether the phone was eligible for their service and as far as I remember I may have checked with FreedomPop which did require the IMEI but I never activated the phone on any other carrier.

Is it possible that just checking TING or FreedomPop caused the phone to be locked in some way ?

Will I face the same issues when trying to activate the phone with a Sprint MVNO such as Ting or FreedomPop ?

Since Sprint still refuses to unlock the iPhone (4s) by claiming that it is not technically possible and will not work on another carrier's network. Really ? Have they ever heard about GSM ?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), 2.3 GHz Intel i7 quad-core 4GB 1TB

Posted on Jan 20, 2015 10:05 AM

14 replies

Jan 20, 2015 10:21 AM in response to TXcrude

TXcrude wrote:

Have they ever heard about GSM ?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Considering they are a CDMA based carrier... I would have to say... No, they have not. 😉

In any case, not sure if you can take this to your local Better Business Bureau or equivalent institution in your area and file a complaint with them.

Basically, Sprint should be able to activate any phone that was officially made to work with them at any time as long as the device can be used with their current networks. Which for an iPhone 4s, should be no issue at all.

You can also try to escalate the matter to a Manager at a Sprint store or Customer center, or contact their Support department, and escalate it there.

I do not believe Sprint can deny service on a device meant for their network simply because they get an activation error. Because if they can't activate it nobody else can.

Jan 20, 2015 10:32 AM in response to TXcrude

This may sound silly but have you tried to DFU restore the phone and then activate it?

First: Put the device into DFU mode.

DFU MODE STEPS

1. Hold the Power Button (3 secs)
  2. Continue holding the power button and also hold the home button (15 secs)
  3. Release the power button while continuing to hold the home button (10 secs)
  4. Your device should prompt with the "Connect to iTunes Screen"

Second: Plug it into your computer and open iTunes. It will either prompt to restore and up date or you can manually restore using the following steps.IOS Restore StepsBefore restoring:

Restoring your iOS device

1. Connect your device to your computer.
  2. Select your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch when it appears in iTunes. Select the Summary tab, and click the Restore button.
  3. Click Restore.
  4. After a restore, the iOS device restarts. You should then see "Slide to set up". Follow the steps in the iOS Setup Assistant.
  5. If needed, restore your device from a previous backup.

May 14, 2015 6:50 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Like I said in my original post:

1) I purchased this iPhone 4s from the Sprint store near my home

2) After 2 years I upgraded to iPhone 5s on same Sprint account in Best Buy

3) My daughter used my old iPhone 4s as an iPod without a carrier for about a year

4) Called Sprint to add that phone to my account as second line but they said I had to go to store

5) Went to my local store but they were unable to activate the phone and said they would investigate

6) Several calls to Sprint Support and two more visits to Sprint store did not result in any solution

7) It has been a few months now and I am still not able to use that phone

BTW: Verizon unlocked all iPhone 4s, even the ones that were no longer on their network in February 2015. If you download iOS 8.3 and upgrade your Verizon iPhone 4s you get message that the phone has been unlocked. I have been using a Verizon iPhone 4s for one week now on T-Mobile prepaid.

Sprint should do the same instead of telling lies that iPhone 4s cannot be unlocked and are not compatible with GSM networks. All they have to do is tell Apple to unlock those Sprint iPhone 4s.

Jul 28, 2015 6:12 PM in response to TXcrude

i contacted the ctia about sprint not doing the unlocks (dsu) on the iphone4s and 5. i contacted hakima@sprint.com who responded to my complaint. she was telling me the same line i heard at the local corporate sprint store. i informed her that the iPhone 4s and 5 made for verizon are the exact iPhones made for sprint. all the hardware are the same. verizon and sprint put their software on to lock them to each carrier. verizon unlocks theirs why don't you? she said if it only a software lock it should be able to be unlocked. she said she would get back to me. been 2 days and no response. today i unlocked my verizon iPhone4 on iTunes . didn't even request it. to get the unlock according to the code you do not have to be a sprint customer. the phone can not be stolen, owe money on account and 2 year contract met. so what is their problem?

Aug 11, 2015 9:22 AM in response to TXcrude

I have this exact same problem, except that my 4S sat in a drawer for almost a year unused. Now when I turn it on, the carrier is showing up as Verizon. Sprint is badgering me at their corporate store like I bought the phone elsewhere. Have you come to any solution? I have tried activating it over the phone/in person at least four times, and the Sprint representatives are clueless.

I simply want to go back to my old phone that I paid for and used under contract for two years.

Aug 19, 2015 9:44 AM in response to marco32

When I went in to Sprint with it for the 4th time, the representative helped me figure out what happened.

Verizon did a large batch unlock of all Verizon iPhone 4s phones. I had bought a Sprint one originally, but in having it repaired at Apple, they sent me a new one. It was probably a Verizon iPhone flashed with Sprint firmware, so when they did their batch unlock, it also unlocked mine. That being said, they could have messed up and accidentally included some iPhone serial numbers from Sprint.

IF that happened, many (or maybe every?) Sprint user with an iPhone 4/4s that restores their phone with iTunes will have an expensive paperweight, solely because Sprint is the only carrier unlocked phones will not work on (hurray for Sprint customer support).

I ended up selling mine on Craigslist.

Aug 21, 2015 6:47 PM in response to rodanste

I had this same problem tonight. Not one sprint rep could help me out. I figured it out myself however, I plugged my iPhone into my mac and it asked me if I wanted to update to newest op system. I declined. Delightfully it asked me after if I wanted to update carrier profile. I accepted, now phone is activated.

Not sure if it will help anyone else, but it IS what worked for me.

Sprint is unable to activate my old iPhone 4s on their network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.