Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wrong Password: Can't integrate Google-Hangouts into Messages

Hi,

I try to integrate Google Hangouts into "Messages" on my Macbook (Yosemite).

The Problem:

I've a Google-Account without using Gmail! My Google-ID is a non-gmail-adress (messenger@xxx.de).

If I create an new (Jabber-)Account in Message and I put this non-gmail-adress in the Username-Field and my Google-Password in the Password-Field, I get an error-message "cold not connect with messenger@xxx.de. The password is wrong".

After that I generated an Google-App-Password in my Google-Account and copied this password into the Apple-Message-Settings....without success: The same error-message.

Also changing the port (server-settings) into 443 and switch-off SSL was not successfull.

Is it unpossible, to integrate Hangouts into Message without a gmail-address?

Here I've read, that it will be possible, if I use my Google-Username and add a "@gmail.com" at the end of my username. But what's my Username? Is it my Firstname of my Google-Account? It doesn't work. Is it my Google-ID (messenger@xxx.de)? It also doesn't work.

https://support.google.com/talk/answer/24076?hl=en

Please can anyone help me?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jan 20, 2015 3:14 PM

2 replies

Jan 21, 2015 1:20 PM in response to radiode

Hi,

Messages will not work with Goolge's Two Step verification and insists on you activating the "Less Secure apps" item on the same Settings page as Messages logs in using SSL which Google have deemed as Less Secure.

Also I am not sure that it will work for other Google Accounts other then those with @gmail.com or @googlemail.com endings.

User uploaded file

9:19 pm Wednesday; January 21, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Jan 29, 2015 8:49 AM in response to radiode

Sounds to me that you have reasons not to use a gmail account, or a '+' account, and you are stuck with your messenger@xyz.de

If all else fails, you may have to consider creating a + account after all.

As Ralph mentions, googletalk can be a little peculiar about two-stage authentication. In your Google account you have a main password for gmail (or login in general, and you may have added separate application passwords.

My experience is that if you use your workstation to log into your google account using your main password, this password should also work for your google talk account on the same machine.

My suggestion:

login via web on google using your account. Navigate your way to your account profile, to check in detail how it is constructed.

Also check from within your webbrowser if you see an option to start a hangout with one of your contacts.

Then: install Adium. This is a multi-protocol chat client, that supports aim and google, and a whole bunch of other things. See if you can replicate the problem in adium.

Hope this helps.

Hoot

Wrong Password: Can't integrate Google-Hangouts into Messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.