Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I use the content library in iMovie?

I can use every other feature in iMovie except for the Content library. It is not in my side bar, and when i get it from the tool bar above the options are gray like I can't use them.

MacBook Air

Posted on Jan 20, 2015 3:37 PM

11 replies

Jan 22, 2015 6:17 AM in response to taigepeves

Hello taigepeves,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

If you're trying to get your Content Library to appear in iMovie, please make sure you have a movie project open, as it should then automatically appear.

You can find titles, transitions, music, and maps in the Content Library. The Content Library is at the bottom of the sidebar once you open a movie project.

1. If the sidebar is not already open, click Show in the toolbar.
    User uploaded file
  2. At the bottom of the sidebar, select an item from the Content Library.
    User uploaded file
  3. In the Browser, your selection appears (titles, transitions, and so on). Drag one to the timeline to add it to your movie.
    • If you add a title, map, or globe, you can adjust settings in the Adjustments Bar which is located above the Viewer.

User uploaded file
    • If you add a transition, double-click it in the timeline to adjust its duration.
      User uploaded file
  4. To return to your video clips in the Browser, select an event in the sidebar.

iMovie (2013): Tips For iMovie ’11 Users - Apple Support

Take care,

Alex H.

Feb 15, 2015 2:16 AM in response to chuck_3rd

I think what taigepeves means is that, like me, the Content Library does NOT appear, even when a movie project has been selected, i.e. clips loaded and playable, skimmable, etc.

I want to add a music background but iTunes is in the Content Library which is not accessible - just does not appear.

If I click Window in the menu bar, Content Library appears but all of its content is greyed out.

Any clues anyone? Seems quite a lot of people out there on various forums have this problem.

I'm running Yosemite and iMovie 10.0.6 which appear to be the latest versions.

Mike

Feb 15, 2015 8:00 AM in response to MikeUnit11

Yes, I've got this problem too! I have a project in the window, can skim it, etc. But the Contents Library choices are all grayed out as are a number of other options including Movie Properties. I'm a beginner with this application and was actually glad to see others had the problem and it wasn't something that I did! Hope we get an answer soon. iMovie 10.0.6 on Yosemite, MBP early 2012.

Feb 15, 2015 9:39 AM in response to Ellen Higgins

Hi Ellen and others

Right I've cracked it, but as a new user like many of you, it wasn't obvious.

Even though I had video clips in what I thought was the timeline, I hadn't. What you need to do is click File > New Movie (or Command+N) and then all this stuff we've been trying to find appears! The workspace re-adjusts to show the timeline, clips etc and then Contents Library appears bottom left. After that, everything was logical.

Hope that helps.

Mike

Feb 15, 2015 10:40 AM in response to Ellen Higgins

Just as a footnote and to be fair to Alex H who correctly said a movie project had to be open, it wasn't obvious to me or many others that even when clips etc were imported that a movie project wasn't actually open. That I think is the problem and Apple could have done a bit more to make it easier to start off.

That's my opinion anyway - others may think otherwise.

Mike

Feb 15, 2015 11:08 AM in response to MikeUnit11

I agree, Mike. I've been on Apple computers for over 30 years and have used all kinds of software, including photo and movie editing software. Made some pretty cute little videos for my family and put them on Facebook. I find myself bumbling around on this one because I find the terminology confusing--movie, clips, projects, events, library, theater, viewer, timeline, browser--I have to keep referring back to the basic online Help info to try to keep them straight...and that's not helping much. :-\ I knew our issue was a matter of not having something "selected" or some such simple fact. Glad you found it.

Why can't I use the content library in iMovie?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.