Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages - bold font can't be changed to regular

Hello,

I've purchased a new macbook pro 13" with Yosemite system a week ago,

and for some reason, all messages that appear in the Messages app window are written in bold Arial font.

I can't change it to regular.

When I right click in the below form (where one can type a message), font type and size are changeable while actually typing, but only in that very "form", meaning it's not applied to the above messages that are sent. I don't know if I made myself clear enough...

May anyone help please?

Many thanks in advance!

All the best,

Loan

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jan 20, 2015 4:09 PM

3 replies

Jan 21, 2015 1:25 PM in response to lndesign

Hi,

iChat and then early version of Messages used to have a Preferences pane called "Messages" that allowed you to change the Font, the colour of the Background (Balloons) and the Colour of the Text.

There was also a Format Menu that allowed you to change things in that outgoing Messages before it was sent.

These has disappeared in Yosemite's version of Messages.

However if you go to System Preferences > Accessibility and set the Reduced Transparency item and restart Messages you will see that you can chose fonts in the Messages Menu > Preferences > General section.

You cannot override the blue or green outgoing balloons or the white font colour for outgoing messages nor effect the Incoming ones (always Black on grey)

User uploaded file

9:25 pm Wednesday; January 21, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Jan 22, 2015 12:53 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Dear Ralph,

Thank you very much for answering me.

Alright I get it, so this is sort of a "normal" thing with Yosemite now, I didn't know.

Indeed, if I set the transparency thing in the System Preferences, only then I can change the font a little through the Messages Preferences. Otherwise it just stays bold.

It's too bad they changed that...

Anyway thanks a lot again for your kind help!

Wish you a very nice day.

Best regards,

Loan

Jan 22, 2015 12:27 PM in response to lndesign

Hi,

Choose Other (it displays a Font list/dialogue box)

User uploaded file

I chose Arial Black as I like the Bold font.

What you cannot do here is change the Font's text Colour

The White on Green for Outgoing chats (SMS, AIM Jabber, Yahoo and Bonjour) can look awful if some Fonts.

Only people using iChat and early versions of Messages (or some versions of AIM on a PC) can see the font as sent as long as they have the same Font.

User uploaded file

8:27 pm Thursday; January 22, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Messages - bold font can't be changed to regular

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.