Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Running FileVault on an External Hard Drive

I am currently running Mac OSX 10.8.5. I want to run FileVault on an external 7200RPM hard drive inside a Macally enclosure conneced to my iMac via FW800.

1. Is it possible to run FileVault on an external hard drive?

2. If so, how long would initial take to setup a 1TB or 3TB drive?

3. Can the password be different front the Admin User Account?

4. What happens if I want to use this eternal drive on a another Mac?

5. Are there other "decent" alternatives to FileVault?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), null

Posted on Jan 20, 2015 9:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2015 1:22 PM

Use the following steps to encrypt (and decrypt) external disks from the Finder.

1. Open a new Finder window and select the external drive you would like to encrypt from the panel on the left, under Devices.
  2. Right-click (or two-finger click, or control-click) on this disk in order to bring up a contextual menu, and then select Encrypt "External Drive Name"...
  3. When prompted to create an encryption password use a strong password and enter it twice, along with a password hint, and click Encrypt Disk. The password be different front the Admin User Account.

Result: The external disk will begin to encrypt, however, there is no progress bar to show you the process of the encryption, which could take several hours for large disks. Once encrypted, when you next plug your external drive in, you will be prompted to enter the password you created earlier and click Unlock in order to unlock the disk.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2015 1:22 PM in response to Carlton Chin

Use the following steps to encrypt (and decrypt) external disks from the Finder.

1. Open a new Finder window and select the external drive you would like to encrypt from the panel on the left, under Devices.
  2. Right-click (or two-finger click, or control-click) on this disk in order to bring up a contextual menu, and then select Encrypt "External Drive Name"...
  3. When prompted to create an encryption password use a strong password and enter it twice, along with a password hint, and click Encrypt Disk. The password be different front the Admin User Account.

Result: The external disk will begin to encrypt, however, there is no progress bar to show you the process of the encryption, which could take several hours for large disks. Once encrypted, when you next plug your external drive in, you will be prompted to enter the password you created earlier and click Unlock in order to unlock the disk.

Running FileVault on an External Hard Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.