Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wireless Profile (System Payload) - A keychain cannot be found to store....

Hey Guys,

Got a rather complex one here which I'm reasonably sure is specifically just a 10.10 Yosemite bug in itself but here's some background, hopefully someone else can replicate it and offer an explanation.

I work at a school and we have WPA2 enterprise wireless utilising certificates and TLS authentication, where as part of TLS we provide a username which matches the certificate name.

We create our wireless profiles for devices through Casper or iPhone Configuration Utility (both output the same file and both work). We are finding that in Yosemite, only user level wireless profile payloads are deploying error free.

Casper allows you to create a system payload wireless profile (mobileconfig), and I also know the lines to modify within an exported iPhone Configuration Utility profile to make it a system one.

If we attempt to deploy a system level payload of a wireless profile, we are meeting the error:

"A keychain cannot be found to store TLSUSERNAMEHERE"

You can then choose to select 'Cancel' or 'Reset to Defaults'

I notice that at this point, the wireless is already in fact connected and am clicking 'Cancel' and just moving on.

If you choose to click 'Reset to Defaults' you get the message:

"Are you sure you want to reset your keychain? This will delete all your saved passwords, keys, and certificates. You cannot undo this operation"

You can then choose to select 'Cancel' or 'Reset'

When you choose 'Reset' a window appears stating:

"Please enter your login password. This password will be used to create your new keychain."

You then attempt to enter your password in the text box, however nothing you type appears in the text box at all. You can tick show password which should show what you're typing but still nothing appears in the text box, all you see is a flashing cursor, no password dots, characters or anything. You click OK and it just closes the window.

However the above exact same mobileconfig file works fine on every OSX we have except for 10.10 Yosemite.

We have also tried deploying this same profile on multiple devices running 10.10 Yosemite and they all have the exact same error.

The fact that the profile starts working before you respond to the error indicates to me that this is a false error or a bug within 10.10 Yosemite itself, especially given when you try to do the reset it's indicating you should do, you cant even enter any text and pressing ok just closes it off completely.

Unfortunately I can't find anyone else that's had this problem - can anyone shed some light on this?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jan 21, 2015 12:16 AM

4 replies

Mar 11, 2015 10:57 AM in response to chrismitchell90

Please note that there is nothing wrong with the existing keychains. Attempts to repair or analyze the login keychain produce no errors. Keychain works for all other purposes.

The fact that the dialogue box requesting the keychain password for the "Reset" won't accept any input is very confusing. Even plugging in an external keyboard won't cause the dialogue box to recognize that any content is being provided to the input box.

Mar 27, 2015 8:10 AM in response to damon.anderson

Having the exact same issue here. Trying to enable 802.1x wifi on MacBook Airs so that they can authenticate to AD at login and mount user home directories properly. Loading the profile developed to allow connection to wireless before the actual login to the computer gives exactly the same symptoms. I believe, but am not sure that it is because the TLSUSERNAME and password are stored in the profile, and it doesn't know how/where to store the login. The not being able to type in the "Reset" is also identical.

Any updates or ideas? 100% reproducible on 20 different MacBook Airs for 20 different users.

Wireless Profile (System Payload) - A keychain cannot be found to store....

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.