Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mail Freezes When I try to Delete Trash

Mac Mail Freezes when I try to delete trash. Spinning wheel of death goes for 10 - 15 minutes and freezes the entire computer. Please Help!

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 2009

Posted on Jan 21, 2015 4:35 AM

18 replies

Jan 21, 2015 10:02 AM in response to Aszmara

Hi, is this the system trash, or the trash in Mail?

Might try this...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, try emptying trash in Safe Mode, reboot when it completes.

(Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive & clear caches.)

Apr 11, 2015 9:11 PM in response to Aszmara

Still having the problem with Mac Mail freezing when I try to empty it's trash as well as an additional issue. Have run Disk Fix in Utilities but not in safe mode and it keeps verifying that the disk is OK. New problem today when I tried to add downloaded photos to iPhoto it said that I was out of room and several folders on my desktop disappeared. I was able to retrieve them, all but I am now concerned that I may have a virus. I did delete a number of photos and videos to make more room on the hard drive....

HELP!

Apr 11, 2015 9:13 PM in response to BDAqua

Still having the problem with Mac Mail freezing when I try to empty it's trash as well as an additional issue. Have run Disk Fix in Utilities but not in safe mode and it keeps verifying that the disk is OK. New problem today when I tried to add downloaded photos to iPhoto it said that I was out of room and several folders on my desktop disappeared. I was able to retrieve them, all but I am now concerned that I may have a virus. I did delete a number of photos and videos to make more room on the hard drive....

HELP!

Apr 12, 2015 5:12 AM in response to Aszmara

Aszmara wrote:

New problem today when I tried to add downloaded photos to iPhoto it said that I was out of room and several folders on my desktop disappeared.

How much free space do you have on your hard drive? If you don't have enough free space, you can have all manner of problems, including performance problems, crashes and even data loss.

In the Finder, choose Computer from the Go menu, then select your hard drive in the window that opens and choose Get Info from the File menu. How much free space does the info window say there is?

I am now concerned that I may have a virus.

This is not the result of a virus, or any other kind of malware.

Apr 12, 2015 5:47 AM in response to Aszmara

In that case, the problem is not due to insufficient free space.

Since the problem is affecting multiple apps, and is causing system crashes, it's not due to just simple corruption of data in one app or the other. There must be some larger issue. One decent possibility is a failing hard drive. Do you have your data backed up? If not, you should do so immediately.

Can you post an excerpt of some of the messages from the Console app (found in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder)? Don't post all the messages, just the ones around the time that you have had some of these problems.

Apr 21, 2015 2:13 PM in response to Aszmara

BDAqua -& Thoma_r - I did a safe boot, did repair permissions. 2 of the "Permission Differs" messages:

Permissions differ on "private/var/log/secure.log", should be -rw------- , they are -rw-r----- .

Permissions differ on "Library/Application Support/ProApps/Internal Plug-Ins/BrowserKit/iLife.bkplugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x . and around 30 more... Nothing about MacMail that I could tell.

There are 8 messages:

Group differs on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/CodeResources", should be 80, group is 0.

Went into Console and was very confused as the dates start 2000 and ends at 2010 and nothing I could decipher as MacMail.

Is this MacMail?

2/17/10 9:03:08 AM com.apple.launchctl.System[2] launchctl: Please convert the following to launchd: /etc/mach_init.d/dashboardadvisoryd.plist

2/17/10 9:03:08 AM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.RemoteDesktop.PrivilegeProxy) Unknown key for boolean: EnableTransactions

2/17/10 9:03:08 AM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.usbmuxd) Unknown key for boolean: EnableTransactions

2/17/10 9:03:08 AM com.apple.launchd[1] (org.cups.cupsd) Unknown key: SHAuthorizationRight

2/17/10 9:03:08 AM com.apple.launchd[1] (org.ntp.ntpd) Unknown key: SHAuthorizationRight

2/17/10 9:03:08 AM com.apple.launchd[1] (org.x.privileged_startx) Unknown key for boolean: EnableTransactions

2/17/10 9:03:35 AM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.UserEventAgent-LoginWindow[77]) Exited: Terminated

2/17/10 9:03:35 AM com.apple.launchd[63] (com.apple.AirPortBaseStationAgent) Unknown key for boolean: EnableTransactions

2/17/10 9:03:35 AM com.apple.launchd[63] (org.x.startx) Unknown key for boolean: EnableTransactions

2/17/10 9:03:39 AM com.apple.launchd[63] (com.apple.CSConfigDotMacCert-@me.com-SharedServices[83]) Exited with exit code: 1

2/17/10 9:05:19 AM [0x0-0x11011].com.apple.Safari[109] Debugger() was called!

Thank you for your help

Apr 21, 2015 2:15 PM in response to thomas_r.

BDAqua -& Thoma_r - I did a safe boot, did repair permissions. 2 of the "Permission Differs" messages:

Permissions differ on "private/var/log/secure.log", should be -rw------- , they are -rw-r----- .

Permissions differ on "Library/Application Support/ProApps/Internal Plug-Ins/BrowserKit/iLife.bkplugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x . and around 30 more... Nothing about MacMail that I could tell.

There are 8 messages:

Group differs on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/CodeResources", should be 80, group is 0.

Went into Console and was very confused as the dates start 2000 and ends at 2010 and nothing I could decipher as MacMail.

Is this MacMail?

2/17/10 9:03:08 AM com.apple.launchctl.System[2] launchctl: Please convert the following to launchd: /etc/mach_init.d/dashboardadvisoryd.plist

2/17/10 9:03:08 AM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.RemoteDesktop.PrivilegeProxy) Unknown key for boolean: EnableTransactions

2/17/10 9:03:08 AM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.usbmuxd) Unknown key for boolean: EnableTransactions

2/17/10 9:03:08 AM com.apple.launchd[1] (org.cups.cupsd) Unknown key: SHAuthorizationRight

2/17/10 9:03:08 AM com.apple.launchd[1] (org.ntp.ntpd) Unknown key: SHAuthorizationRight

2/17/10 9:03:08 AM com.apple.launchd[1] (org.x.privileged_startx) Unknown key for boolean: EnableTransactions

2/17/10 9:03:35 AM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.UserEventAgent-LoginWindow[77]) Exited: Terminated

2/17/10 9:03:35 AM com.apple.launchd[63] (com.apple.AirPortBaseStationAgent) Unknown key for boolean: EnableTransactions

2/17/10 9:03:35 AM com.apple.launchd[63] (org.x.startx) Unknown key for boolean: EnableTransactions

2/17/10 9:03:39 AM com.apple.launchd[63] (com.apple.CSConfigDotMacCert-@me.com-SharedServices[83]) Exited with exit code: 1

2/17/10 9:05:19 AM [0x0-0x11011].com.apple.Safari[109] Debugger() was called!

Thank you for your help

Apr 21, 2015 2:36 PM in response to Aszmara

OK, those can be ignored after one run I think, not the problem if it doesn't work after that.

Have you repaired the Keychain?

Resetting your keychain in Mac OS X...

If Keychain First Aid finds an issue that it cannot repair, or if you do not know your keychain password, you may need to reset your keychain.

Apr 22, 2015 5:10 AM in response to BDAqua

Thank you BD Aua. Looked at keychain (not is safe mode) and didn't see Keychain First Aid. But did find these keys which I question.

No Modified Date for either and both Issued by: Comodo RSA Client Authentication and Secure Email CA.

mine.bektas@institutetrain.com

and

elis.caglayan@outerevent.com

Expires: Wednesday, December 23, 2015 6:59:69 PM ET

This Certificate was signed by an unknown authority

Can this be affecting MacMail?

Thanks again for your help

Mac Mail Freezes When I try to Delete Trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.