Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i pair iTunes with the remote app

Ive been using the remote App on my phone to control my iTunes based on my imac, but now when I try to locate my library on my phone it will not locate it... Tries turning everything off and on... tried to re-pair my devices but can't find "remote" on the iTunes window on my iMac..! can't remember how I did it before... HELP.!

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jan 21, 2015 6:29 AM

1 reply

Jan 22, 2015 8:39 AM in response to appellant

Hi appellant,

If you are having trouble connecting to your iTunes library with the Remote app, try the steps below:

Remote app for iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch can't connect to iTunes or Apple TV - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201397

Before you proceed with troubleshooting any connectivity issues with Remote, make sure you have the latest version of Remote installed on your iOS device.

Remote updates can be downloaded from the App Store on iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

Check on other system requirements

Find information about system requirements.

Confirm proper iTunes settings

To connect Remote with iTunes, iTunes must be running on your Mac or PC. Verify that you are using the latest version of iTunes:

• iTunes for Mac: Choose iTunes > Check for Updates
  • iTunes for Windows: Choose Help > Check for Updates

Check your Home Sharing setup

With Remote 2.0 and later, Remote uses Home Sharing for setup and control with iTunes or Apple TV. For additional information about setting up Remote to control your iTunes library or Apple TV, see About Remote for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.

To setup or troubleshoot Home Sharing on Apple TV:

To setup or troubleshoot Home Sharing with iTunes:

Check your Network connections

Your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch needs to be on the same home or local network as the Apple TV or iTunes library you are trying to control.

Note: Some Wi-Fi networks configurations offers a Guest Network that can block certain Internet services from working or seeing other devices on your home network.

In addition, make sure that all your devices are connected to the same router, if you have multiple routers. Using multiple routers may prevent discovery between these devices.

Restart your network router

Restart your home network router using the method recommended by its documentation. This may include disconnecting the power cord for 10 seconds or more. Note that any Internet services including a VOiP-based phone will not work until the router restarts.

Update your AirPort Base Stations and Time Capsules

If using an AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule, make sure to have the latest firmware update installed on your base station. Update via the AirPort Utility application. Find details on how to update your Airport Base station or Time Capsule.

Make sure your Firewall settings are not blocking your connection

If you have a firewall enabled on your router or computer, make sure that the firewall is not blocking communication between Remote and your iTunes or Apple TV. Remote uses TCP port 3689 and UDP port 5353 to communicate with your iTunes or Apple TV. To configure your firewall to add these ports:

• For Mac OS X v10.5 and later, you don't need to edit the port addresses, but make sure the firewall is not set to "Allow only essential services" as described in About the Application Firewall.
  • For Mac OS X v10.4.11 and earlier, please follow these instructions.
  • For Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 Firewall, follow these instructions.
  • For Windows XP Firewall, please follow these instructions.
  • If you use other firewall software or hardware, check the software documentation on how to open these ports.

Learn more

See Remote application may not respond while Apple TV is syncing to iTunes as well.

Information about products not manufactured by Apple, or independent websites not controlled or tested by Apple, is provided without recommendation or endorsement. Apple assumes no responsibility with regard to the selection, performance, or use of third-party websites or products. Apple makes no representations regarding third-party website accuracy or reliability. Risks are inherent in the use of the Internet. Contact the vendor for additional information.

Last Modified:

I hope this information helps ....

- Judy

how do i pair iTunes with the remote app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.