Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving iTunes to new Computer - Windows 8.1

What is the correct procedure for moving iTunes to a new computer? Last time I did it, I just installed iTunes and then copied all the music to an external drive and then copied it the iTunes music folder that iTunes created. (I might not have the file name correct, but I ripped a CD to be sure where it was putting it and then I copied everything to that location.) Then I told iTunes to import the folder. Maybe that was too much music to import all at once, but I ended up with some artwork missing...much of it from store purchases. So is there a way to get the music back into iTunes without losing the music.

I assume iTunes works OK on Windows 8.1 64 bit and that I should be able to sync to my ipod.

I was also wondering if there is any way to save the artwork. I knew how to do it in older version, but I haven't be able to figure out how to do it in newer versions. I was building a folder...just in case I had to add it back if any of it turned up missing. Some of my purchases are no longer available in the store, so I wouldn't be able to get the artwork that way if I should need it.

Thanks.

Windows 7

Posted on Jan 21, 2015 6:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2015 6:56 AM

Ideally you should copy the complete iTunes library structure - typically located at C:\Users\username\Music\iTunes - from the old computer to the new one. It should look like this:

User uploaded file

Assuming that your music and other media files are all contained within the iTunes Media folder and its subfolders you can move this iTunes folder and all its content from your old system to the corresponding location on the new one (i.e., place it in C:\Users\username\Music). If you've already installed and run iTunes on the new system, overwrite the files and folders already created in that location - this assumes that you've not added any content on the new system, i.e., you are just migrating your library from the old system to the new one, not merging different libraries on the two).

Then, just to be sure you are picking up the right library information, hold down the Shift key while starting iTunes on the new system. You'll get this prompt:

User uploaded file

Click Choose Library.. then navigate to and select the iTunes Library.itl file within the folders you just copied across. Click OK - you're complete library - media, artwork, playlists, etc. - should now be available on the new system.

One further benefit of this approach - because you have replicated the library in full any iDevices will see this as "the same" library as you had on the old system, and sync operations will continue to work without getting a message about your iPod / iPhone being erased. You should also make sure that you create and maintain a backup of your library (the full folder structure as illustrated above) as a safeguard against any future cause of data loss.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2015 6:56 AM in response to km914

Ideally you should copy the complete iTunes library structure - typically located at C:\Users\username\Music\iTunes - from the old computer to the new one. It should look like this:

User uploaded file

Assuming that your music and other media files are all contained within the iTunes Media folder and its subfolders you can move this iTunes folder and all its content from your old system to the corresponding location on the new one (i.e., place it in C:\Users\username\Music). If you've already installed and run iTunes on the new system, overwrite the files and folders already created in that location - this assumes that you've not added any content on the new system, i.e., you are just migrating your library from the old system to the new one, not merging different libraries on the two).

Then, just to be sure you are picking up the right library information, hold down the Shift key while starting iTunes on the new system. You'll get this prompt:

User uploaded file

Click Choose Library.. then navigate to and select the iTunes Library.itl file within the folders you just copied across. Click OK - you're complete library - media, artwork, playlists, etc. - should now be available on the new system.

One further benefit of this approach - because you have replicated the library in full any iDevices will see this as "the same" library as you had on the old system, and sync operations will continue to work without getting a message about your iPod / iPhone being erased. You should also make sure that you create and maintain a backup of your library (the full folder structure as illustrated above) as a safeguard against any future cause of data loss.

Jan 21, 2015 11:40 PM in response to hhgttg27

hi there, this sounds like it could help me. i'm not sure what I've done. I set up my new laptop and installed iTunes and then copied my iTunes folder from my external hard drive to the laptop, and now when I try to open ITunes it gives me a message The file iTunes Library itl cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes.

i'm not sure what to do now? would I be best just removing iTunes and the iTunes folder and just starting over? appreciate your help

Jan 22, 2015 10:20 AM in response to serena@raro

If you're actually running an earlier version of iTunes on your new laptop than on your on the system from which you copied your library, you should update the laptop to the same - or later - version.

Otherwise, the "iTunes Library itl cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes" error may be indicative of corruption in the database file. It may be worth copying the iTunes Library.itl file from your old system (typically located in C:\Users\username\Music\iTunes) to your new laptop again (just in case there was a simple error in the copy process); then hold down Shift as you start iTunes, when you get this prompt:

User uploaded file

click on Choose Library..., navigate to and select the iTunes Library.itl file that you just copied, and click Open. This would eliminate the possibility that iTunes is picking up a different (and invalid) copy of the library file on startup.

If this doesn't resolve the issue, see turingtest2's notes on Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash.

Jan 22, 2015 6:50 PM in response to hhgttg27

Your instructions worked great. After I installed the latest version of iTunes on my box, I renamed the files it created in the Music\iTunes folder...just to be safe. Then I copied the I iTunes folder over the folder on the new box. There must have been a couple of hidden files, because at the end it asked me what I wanted to do with the two existing files. One was the sentinal file. Can't remember what the other was. I said to keep the newer ones. (Probably was the best choice, as I still had the older ones if needed.) But it didn't seem to matter.

Interestingly, after I installed iTunes, it opened and it showed all my music...pictures and all. But they all had a cloud icon on them. (I'm quite sure they weren't all in the cloud as I never paid for the service. In any case, after all my music was copied over, I opened iTunes and now the cloud icon was gone from all the album covers.

So, do you know what will happen when I try to sync my ipad? Previously it has told me that the ipod can only be synced with one computer. So will it erase everything and download everything again?

I also didn't know that my login here was the same as my iTunes account. I changed the password here and then I couldn't get into my iTunes account because entering a new password here changed it over there too.

Thanks again.

Jan 22, 2015 8:13 PM in response to km914

"So, do you know what will happen when I try to sync my ipad? Previously it has told me that the ipod can only be synced with one computer. So will it erase everything and download everything again?"

Assuming that you copied the complete library, including the database, any iDevice should see this as the same library as you were using before and will not erase prior content. The in-built limitation is that an iDevice cannot be synced with more than one library, not computer (though without careful control over migration of the data this can easily go wrong). I can't verify this directly for the iPad (or other iOS devices) but this is certainly true for "traditional" iPods.

Moving iTunes to new Computer - Windows 8.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.