Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you take away "the smart search" on your mac?

Also when I use Safari, lots of pop-up windows appears and it is all some kind of virus.. In this case i wonder if anyone knows what i can do or if i have to send my mac to "operation".

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 21, 2015 6:34 AM

13 replies

Jan 21, 2015 11:04 AM in response to Vilma.K

Open Terminal - it's in your Mac's Utilities folder.

Copy the following line (position your cursor anywhere in the line below, triple-click to select the entire line, then Edit > Copy) and then paste it in the Terminal window:

clear; printf '\e[3J'; ls /Library/LaunchDaemons | grep -iv apple 

Then, select that entire window's contents (Edit > Select All and then Copy) and paste it in a reply.

Omit or obscure any information you might consider personal.

Quit Terminal when you're finished with it.

If any known adware files are present in that folder, there will be additional ones elsewhere.

Jan 21, 2015 12:34 PM in response to Vilma.K

Yes. The first thing to do is to ensure you have a backup of your system, in case something goes wrong. To learn how to use Time Machine read Mac Basics: Time Machine backs up your Mac - Apple Support. Don't make any modifications to your system unless you have a way of undoing what you're about to do. Time Machine is only one such strategy.

In the same manner as before, triple-click to select the entire line below. Then, hold a control key while clicking the line once. In the contextual menu that appears, select Services > Reveal in Finder:

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.neptune.daemon.plist

A Finder window will open with that file selected. Drag it to the Trash. Make sure the file you are dragging bears that specific name, no other. You may need to authenticate with your Admin name and password.

Repeat the above instructions with each of the following lines, one at a time:

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.neptune.helper.plist

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.neptune.daemon.plist

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.neptune.helper.plist

The last item may not be present in which case a dialog may appear stating "the item cannot be found". In that case just click OK.

Next, triple-click the following line, then hold a control key while clicking the line once. In the contextual menu that appears, this time select Services > Open:

/Library/Application Support

A Finder window will open and a number of folders will appear in it. Thoroughly examine that window's contents, looking specifically for a folder with the word "neptune" in it. If you find it, drag it to the Trash. Don't drag anything else to the Trash, just that one.

Next, repeat the previous step with the following line, again using Services > Open:

/System/Library/Frameworks

A Mac normally contains over a hundred files in that folder. Thoroughly examine it for the presence of a file specifically named v.framework. If you find it, drag it to the Trash. Don't drag anything else to the Trash, just that one.

Empty the Trash and restart your Mac.

This, and the instructions in Apple's document from the "How to install adware" User Tip will effectively rid your Mac of the adware that had been affecting it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.