Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turn off snoozed alarm after unlocking iPhone

Previously, after snoozing an alarm, the ways to turn it off were:

1. unlocking the phone when the alarm went off a second time
  2. going into the alarm panel in clock app and turn off the alarm

After updating to iOS 8, turning the alarm off did not prevent the alarm from sounding again after the snooze countdown timer. The ways I am able to turn off the alarm now are:

1. waiting for the alarm to finish the countdown while the phone is locked
  2. wake the phone (but not unlock it), swipe left, tap X
  3. if I accidentally unlock the phone without step 2 for all active snoozed alarms, the alarms are still in 'queue' and will sound after their countdown timer ends, and I must wait for the countdown to end before I can end the alarm (going into clock panel to turn the alarm off does not work anymore)

As far as I know of, there is no way to turn off the alarm before the end of the countdown timer once the phone is unlocked.

There has to be a better solution with the native clock app. I am one of those people that may snooze all 3 alarms I set within 3 minutes of each other for 1 hour before getting out of bed, but once I'm out, I want to end my morning alarms for that day (and not get out of the shower to turn off the alarm because there wasn't a way to turn it off before the end of the countdown timer).

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Jan 21, 2015 7:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2015 12:52 PM

iPhone alarm snooze is 9 minutes. If I snooze an alarm and wake the phone in 5 minutes, a countdown time on my lockscreen will show 4:00, 3:59, 3:58, etc.

If I do not swipe left and tap the X to turn off the alarm but instead unlock my phone, the alarm will sound at the end of the timer, regardless if I go into clock app and slide that alarm to the off position.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2015 12:52 PM in response to Kilgore-Trout

iPhone alarm snooze is 9 minutes. If I snooze an alarm and wake the phone in 5 minutes, a countdown time on my lockscreen will show 4:00, 3:59, 3:58, etc.

If I do not swipe left and tap the X to turn off the alarm but instead unlock my phone, the alarm will sound at the end of the timer, regardless if I go into clock app and slide that alarm to the off position.

Apr 1, 2015 6:00 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

I just experienced this as well. I guess it's a bug because in the past I would just snooze then turn off alarm by opening up clock app and the alarm would not sound again. Just now my alarm went off, I snoozed it and unlocked phone a few min later, turned off the alarm, then went to take a shower. The alarm still went off after the snooze countdown went down waking up my wife. I'm getting really tired of these bugs and getting ready to go back to android

Jan 23, 2015 4:57 AM in response to Styna

Unless you are using something other than the built in alarm feature, that isn't working as designed.

Try a reset: Simultaneously hold down the Home and On buttons until the device shuts down. Ignore the off slider if it appears. Once shut down is complete, if it doesn't restart on it own, turn the device back on using the On button. In some cases it also helps to double click the Home button and close all apps BEFORE doing the reset.

Apr 1, 2015 6:48 AM in response to mzaur

mzaur wrote:

I just experienced this as well. I guess it's a bug because in the past I would just snooze then turn off alarm by opening up clock app and the alarm would not sound again. Just now my alarm went off, I snoozed it and unlocked phone a few min later, turned off the alarm, then went to take a shower. The alarm still went off after the snooze countdown went down waking up my wife. I'm getting really tired of these bugs and getting ready to go back to android

If it were a bug, it would probably affect more people. I snooze the alarm, then turn it off a couple of times a week. It never goes off when I don't want it to. What troubleshooting steps have you taken?

Apr 1, 2015 8:08 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

I tried to repeat the issue but it worked fine, so it seems to only randomly occur. I definitely turned the alarm off when it was snoozed and went off again. What troubleshooting steps can you even take on an iPhone? It's so locked down you can't do anything. No way to get logs or anything. And if the bug only happens randomly once in a while then not too many people would report it. Last week my alarm went off 10 minutes late for some odd reason. This is a brand new iPhone 6 on latest iOS 8

Apr 1, 2015 8:15 AM in response to AmishCake

AmishCake wrote:

Right, because Android is bug-free. They must be, since they have no support system.

I used Android for about 4 years prior to buying the iPhone 6. I had no issues at all, especially with the alarm. It was always consistent, and I was able to use a third party alarm which ran as a background service, which of course cannot be done on iOS. So we're stuck with using the stock alarm app which is limited in features and doesn't work all the time. Whatever personal bias you may have against Android, it is not consistent with my experience. iOS 8 has been very buggy since I got my iPhone, aside from the alarm issues. The support forums are filled with people having issues. My main issue is the Messages app freezing about once a day, and third party keyboard implementation is still buggy. So yeah, I'm definitely thinking about switching back... I really like iOS but it's supposed to 'just work' -- I don't care so much about being locked down as long as things work without issues.

Apr 1, 2015 8:32 AM in response to mzaur

Basic troubleshooting: restart, reset, restore from back up, restore as new.

Of course the support forums are full of people having issues. That's like saying an emerency room waiting area is full of sick and injured people. The people posting in support forums are not a representative sample of all iOS users.

I've had Android phones since the platform launched. I've had Android phones that worked well and ones that didn't. It's hard to make meaningful comparisons from one to another becuase of the differences in versions, and manufacturer implementation. A stock Android with no third party apps and few manufacturer tweaks is not a bad operating system. My personal experience is that you have to be far more careful about what apps you add as it is way too easy for third party apps to muck up the works.

Jun 3, 2015 6:51 AM in response to AmishCake

I don't think its in his backup file. I have never restored my iPhones from a backup and I have the same problem. Running an iPhone 6 plus. Got here cause I searched looking for answers to this exact problem as described by OP.

Furthermore, if you have a repeating alarm that repeats daily, what good is it to slide to turn off alarm just to turn off the snoozed timer. Defeats the purpose of having a repeating alarm. Step 3. in the OP is the problem I experience. The snoozed alarm will come back on when I'm in the shower if I unlock the phone without canceling the snooze timer from the lock screen. I see no way to access the snooze timer again after the first unlocking. It doesn't show up in the locked screen but once for me.

Feb 25, 2016 12:14 PM in response to Styna

basically the phone will start playing the alarm, then go to sleep.

by waking the phone, the phone "thinks" you have tapped it to activate the sleep timer.

which puts it into countdown mode, and it goes to sleep again.

there's then no way (on my iPhone 5c, ios 9.2.1) without deleting the alarm, to prevent it going off again in 10 minutes.

basically you have to be there when the phone is bleeping and before it has turned its screen off to swipe to cancel the alarm.

Turn off snoozed alarm after unlocking iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.