Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I did a partition on my 2009 Imac. I split 500 gigs in half. One half was to run windows. I want to undo that partition but I do not want to lose anything on my macintosh side. The windows side I don't care about. Is this something that can be done?

I wanted Windows on my 2009 Imac. I am running 10.6.8. I partitioned the drive so that 250 gigs was for windows and 250 was for Macintosh. I would like to undo this partition without losing anything from my macintosh side. Everything that is on the windows half can go away. Is this possible?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 500 gigabyte

Posted on Jan 21, 2015 8:33 AM

5 replies

Jan 21, 2015 11:58 AM in response to liddleman

Well, you're bagged, sort of.

As Neil suggests, back up your current drive BEFORE you do anything.

I'm assuming that all your stuff on the Mac side is in folders, and easy for you to see and know what's what. This is important, as AFTER you back up your current, partitioned hard drive, you're going to open up Disk Utility and erase it...completely and totally...and then use your supplied discs to re-install the OS.

There's no way re-partition a drive without first erasing the entire thing.

I did a partition on my 2009 Imac. I split 500 gigs in half. One half was to run windows. I want to undo that partition but I do not want to lose anything on my macintosh side. The windows side I don't care about. Is this something that can be done?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.