Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Account setup for severely disabled individual

I have a severely disabled 19 year old son who has a new iPad which is primarily intended to be used as a switch operated communication device. He is very keen to access iTunes and the AppStore so I need to setup an Apple account in his name but because his iPad is accessible to other people in his life, I also need to have control over any purchases that are made. Since my son is deemed to be an adult in law, I wonder if anyone can tell me if it is possible to setup an Apple account in his name, but as a family member, with family sharing, linked to my account?

iPad Air, iOS 8.1.2, switch operated

Posted on Jan 21, 2015 8:51 AM

1 reply

Jan 22, 2015 9:18 AM in response to bryanfern

Hey bryanfern,

It is certainly possible to set up an Apple ID for your son using this page -

Apple - My Apple ID

You can also set up Family Sharing to include him. This article explains how -

Family Sharing - Apple Support

One point you mention is having control over account spending. In a family sharing group, the organizer agrees to pay for all purchases made by members of the group. For members of the group under 18 (this age may vary by location) the Ask to Buy feature is available. It is not available for members over that age, however. See this article -

Request and make purchases with Ask to Buy - Apple Support

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Be well,

Brett L

Apple Account setup for severely disabled individual

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.