Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quicktime only recording 10 seconds for App Preview

I'm trying to make an App Preview recording. However, after recording 10 seconds of video, Quicktime stops recording.

MacBook Pro is from mid 2010. It's running Yosemite (SSD + 8GB RAM) and the iPhone 5 is running iOS 8.1.2.

Did anyone encounter this issue? Is there anything I can do to fix it? I want to do one smooth recording of 30 seconds.

However if there's no other choice I'll stitch them together.

Thanks.

iPhone 5, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Jan 21, 2015 9:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2015 9:37 AM

I cannot fin any document here in AppleWorld or with Google [ screen record ios device ] OR [ screen record yosemite ] that indicates a limit of iOS > Yosemite screen recording, no matter what the end result.

I HAVE seen comments in the many How-Tos that inevitably pop up WebWide that they believe that this functionality was specifically developed and included in Yosemite for the very purpose of creating an App Preview.

Assuming the latter is correct, this would be considerably different than a continuous "shot" - Tap > Result, Tap > Result,Tap > Result, Tap > Result,

For this example - Tap > Result - it seems that 10 seconds would be more than adequate - and https://developer.apple.com/app-store/app-previews/ (an overview of App Preview) seems to indicate in the Getting Started section that this was intended to be used in conjunction with iMovie to edit ("stitch together") them into a 15-30 second finished product.

"Is there anything I can do to fix it?" When taking your experience and the researched outsider comments together, well... maybe not. Others may well have a better answer as mine is based on research

Have you posted this issue in the Developers Forum?

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2015 9:37 AM in response to Giwan

I cannot fin any document here in AppleWorld or with Google [ screen record ios device ] OR [ screen record yosemite ] that indicates a limit of iOS > Yosemite screen recording, no matter what the end result.

I HAVE seen comments in the many How-Tos that inevitably pop up WebWide that they believe that this functionality was specifically developed and included in Yosemite for the very purpose of creating an App Preview.

Assuming the latter is correct, this would be considerably different than a continuous "shot" - Tap > Result, Tap > Result,Tap > Result, Tap > Result,

For this example - Tap > Result - it seems that 10 seconds would be more than adequate - and https://developer.apple.com/app-store/app-previews/ (an overview of App Preview) seems to indicate in the Getting Started section that this was intended to be used in conjunction with iMovie to edit ("stitch together") them into a 15-30 second finished product.

"Is there anything I can do to fix it?" When taking your experience and the researched outsider comments together, well... maybe not. Others may well have a better answer as mine is based on research

Have you posted this issue in the Developers Forum?

Jul 29, 2015 4:45 AM in response to Giwan

I have a good work-round if you want to record more than the 10-20 seconds that quicktime gives.

Use the 'new movie recording' function to reflect your iPad screen onto the mac screen.

Then use use the 'new screen recording' function and select on the reflected iPad section of your screen.

This will give you a recording of what is going on the iPad, and as long as you keep your cursor off the iPad reflection you will not get the annoying recording options box.

You can then clip the final video using iMovie to get the video you are after.

Quicktime only recording 10 seconds for App Preview

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.