Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad3, iOS 8.1.2, can't delete app icons.

On my iPad 3 with iOS 8.1.2, when I try to delete an app, the icons with their X's (deletion restriction is off) ignore my touch and keep wiggling, but extremely slowly - they are all but frozen. I can't navigate between screens or select any apps. Many app icons are blank white with squares and circles - the blank icons persist even after closing the lid and waiting for the screen to go back to normal before opening it again, which restores the ability to navigate screens and select apps. Doing a reset, holding down the home and power buttons, doesn't help: trying to delete an icon has the same result again. Is there a fix for this, or is my iPad in its death throes?

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular (VZ), iOS 8.1.1

Posted on Jan 21, 2015 12:13 PM

11 replies

Feb 1, 2015 9:27 PM in response to tgblake

I have the same issue on my iPad 3, I reported to Apple, and recently they released iOS 8.1.3 with no mention of it, so my first delete was good. But couple of days later, it still have the same issue as iOS 8.1.2...

Also I was able to hard-reset in iOS 8.1.2, but now I can't hard-reset immediately... You just have to wait a while it'll lock eventually, and leave it there for at least another 1 or 2 minutes, it'll go back to lock screen, then I didn't unlock, I just power off, and then on.

Mar 8, 2015 8:39 AM in response to tgblake

Exact same problem.

iPad 3 wifi - iOS 8.1.3

Try do delete any app, and the little grey x show up, icons wiggle, but then there is no response to clicking ( x ) other than the apps wiggle slowly. Then after that there is no more response to anything. I have to force quit the iPad, restart, even with all application closed (absolutely nothing running) same thing repeats over and over

Never - ever had this issue before.

Do not look forward to wiping my iPad and starting over, since if I take a backup now, it'll probably have whatever corruption going on already or retain this same iOS bug and be a waste of time and effort.

Mar 30, 2015 10:24 PM in response to Courcoul

Courcoul wrote:

In Settings / General / Usage / Storage / Manage Storage, wait till the full list of installed apps builds up, tap on the desired victim then on Delete App

See if that works.

While this is another way to go about it, but the serious issue is that people trying to delete via the other way, but having their ipad completely non-functional, and what if they don't even know how to reset it... The screen I think just stays on... not sure if it adheres to the timeouts and shuts the screen off.. but I tried to delete with iOS 8.2 it would freeze, and I can't even reset it.. after 1 or 2 minutes of retrying to reset, it finally did something.

Mar 31, 2015 11:32 PM in response to Courcoul

Courcoul wrote:

Not minimizing the issue but rather trying for a usable workaround. Especially since some sluggishness issues may be caused by too little remaining space on the device, thus requiring a way to reliably empty it out.

Note also that apps can be deleted thru iTunes on a computer.

Turning off the bold text, fixes the freezing, so I think it has nothing to do with space remaining. The Jiggling effect already is fairly sluggish on the iPad 3.

iPad3, iOS 8.1.2, can't delete app icons.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.