Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone and itunes usage discrepancy

I'm trying to understand the usage summary in iTunes for my iPhone 6 as there are several things that don't make sense:

1. iTunes shows that I have 181 photos taking up 511.7MB of space. However, I deleted all photos and videos from the iPhone's photo app. I then re-started both the phone and iTunes on my Mac, but it still says I have 181 photos. Could these be images that are inside of other apps, like iMessage, What'sapp and 3rd party photo apps?
  2. iTunes shows that I have 729.1MB of "Documents & Data". How do I find what that is so I can delete it?
  3. iTunes shows that I have 1.78GB of "Other". "Other"?!! How is that supposed to help us?

I'm trying to clean out my iphone and open up more storage space. iTunes isn't very helpful! Hope someone can add some clarity.

Thanks

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Jan 21, 2015 1:15 PM

2 replies

Mar 6, 2015 5:32 AM in response to ManSinha

Thanks for the reply and sorry I didn't respond sooner. That link you sent helped to understand some of the issue.

I'm on a Mac.

In the link you sent they mention this app "PhoneClean" - http://www.imobie.com/phoneclean/ ... have you used it? Are there good free options out there for this?

I'm still curious about "Photos". I deleted everything in the Photos app and it's still showing almost 200 photos in the usage meter. This must be from other app - people sending photos in What'sapp or iMessage, but how can one easily manage that, without having to manually go through message?

Thanks

iphone and itunes usage discrepancy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.