Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I move a user's data, etc., to the Admin login?

Hi all.

Some time ago, when we bought this iMac, I set it up using what I was told were "best practices"; I created an Admin account, and a user account for day-to-day use.

Frankly, the setup *****. The User account is "flaky", exhibiting many random performance errors (for instance, I can't do a screen grab...) that don't occur over on the Admin side, or on any other of my computers.

What I want to do is transfer, copy, move, whatever, all the User stuff - data, settings, contacts, etc. - over to the Admin account, and then delete the User when I'm satisfied we've got everything.

Is there a way to do this easily...or am I stuck with re-installing the OS and (hopefully) migrating the data, etc., from the backup HD.

iMac 3.06 (8 gig)/MacPro 2.66 (10 gig))/iBook 1ghz (1 g), Mac OS X (10.6.8), older Macs

Posted on Jan 21, 2015 1:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2015 1:57 PM

Drag the files to the /Users/Shared/ folder, and then into the administrator account's home folder a few at a time, or see below.

Keep track of what you move; moving the wrong item will transfer the problem. If desired, just leave the items in the Shared folder.

(120787)

4 replies

How do I move a user's data, etc., to the Admin login?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.