Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Local Storage on iPad, cloud should be 2nd option.

I just do not understand the logic behind this and is the sole reason why I have not purchased and iPad yet. A simple function like local storage and file management seems to have been an issue ever since the first IOS was released. This is not a rant or a slam on Apple. I am a loyal Apple fan and customer. I just wish that something like "Finder/My Documents" with the ability to "store files locally" on the device itself with an icloud backup as a 2nd automatic option is what should of happened in the first place and it is still not here. Sure there are apps out there that somewhat accomplish this but its still clunky and lacks the Apple stamp of quality.

I am just wondering am I the only one here who feels this way?

iPad Air Wi-Fi, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Jan 21, 2015 3:44 PM

11 replies

Jan 21, 2015 3:57 PM in response to Rawkk

I wouldn't say it's local versus cloud but app-centric versus file-centric. Both app- and file-centric approaches can use local or cloud storage or both. You absolutely can store files locally. What is difficult for some people to wrap their heads around is that the "Finder/My Documents" paradigm is not the only way to manage or access files. With iOS, files are connected to apps and are accessed through the apps. It takes some getting used to but, personally, I don't think it's a better/worse thing, just different. The kind of documents I use most on my iPad are PDFs. I use PDF Expert for reading and annotating them. I find it works beautifully. I think if you spent some time using an iPad rather than going on what you've read, you might find it works rather well.

However, you should definitely let Apple know how you feel:

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Best of luck.

Local Storage on iPad, cloud should be 2nd option.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.