Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot run two monitors (Dell U3415W)

Computer:Mac Pro (Late 2013)
Graphics:AMD FirePro D300 2048 MB
OS Version:OS X Yosemite 10.10.1
Monitors:2x Dell U3415W
Monitor 1 via HDMI
Monitor 2 via Thunderbolt to DisplayPort on connection port #2

I am having a problem getting two of my monitors to work properly on my Mac Pro. When powering on the machine, only monitor #1 works. When going to the system information (About This Mac/Display), my system recognizes both monitors. It is able to pull the model number, serial number, resolution and such for both monitors, so I know there is good communication.

When looking at the display options and trying to do a shared/extended view, monitor #2 does not display an image. In fact, the monitor goes into sleep mode. When I choose mirror mode, I get the same result. Here is where it gets odd. If I modify the frequency of monitor #2 to 50hz (PAL), it works! However, when I switch back to extended mode, monitor #2 goes back to black. In extended mode, I've tried switching between 30hz and 50hz, and nothing works.

I have tried several other combinations to rule out monitor related issues, cable issues, etc.

- HDMI on monitor #2, DisplayPort on monitor #1 - issue follows DisplayPort

- Use the Apple Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt wire to connect to the Mini DisplayPort on both monitors simultaneously

- Tried all Thunderbolt connection ports on the back of the MacPro

- Use different HDMI and DisplayPort cables

- Rebooted computer every time after each change

Any idea how I can resolve this issue? I find it strange that I can get everything to work in mirror mode if monitor #2 is at 50hz (PAL), but that's it. In that small test case, it shows to me that the Mac Pro is able to communicate with both monitors, display a clear imagine, that both monitors function properly, including all cables and connection ports. It leads me to believe it is an OS configuration issue.

Thank you.

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jan 21, 2015 5:18 PM

9 replies

Jan 23, 2015 12:45 AM in response to lllaass

Hello,

I have the same problem. I tried the same things without any success on any of the thunderbolts. The monitor does work with my MacBook pro using thunderbolt, but on the MAC Pro!

It also works with MAC pro when I connect it through a Thunderbolt to HDMI converter, which will use the HDMI input of the monitor.

So, this confirms a problem with the MAC pro thunderbolts ports.

I have my MAC pro in service at Apple store for 2 days now and they still did not find the problem.

This is not good. The MAC pro is very expensive and must work because we need to use multiple monitors with it.

Feb 5, 2015 3:02 PM in response to thrawn99

Thrawn99,

Your suggestion worked for me! The irony is that Apple service store kept my computer for few days and couldn't solve the problem. For such an expensive computer and huge profits, you would expect them to test every high end monitor that comes out to the market! I really do not like their practices as they try to make us buy only their products, from expensive lighning cables to expensive monitors.

I also went through **** to install Bootcamp on Mac Pro. I spent over 20 hours to get it done! I am a professional computer engineer and was very hard to me to figure it out. Imagine average users what they have to do.

I switched to Apple products as I like their hardware to be used for Windows products, so I invested in Macbook Pro, Mac pro and macbook air and now I am discovering that I might have made mistakes doing that.

Conclusion: Apple needs to test their products better and provide alternatives to their expensive accesories to work with their products.

Thanks for your help

Cannot run two monitors (Dell U3415W)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.