Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is My iPhone 5 unlocked?

I have an iPhone 5 / 16GB that I purchased from BestBuy about 2 years ago as part of a winter sale. I renewed my contract with Verizon at the same time.

I am planning on using it in the Caribbean. I stop by the Verizon store to ask if they have a special overseas plan for a week. The rep said I would be better off buying a SIM card/plan from the country I am visiting and swap out the card. It would more cost effective. I asked if my iPhone needs to be unlocked. He skirted the issue and he claims that all I need do is swap out the SIM card. I did some searches on the web and see conflicting stories. Some articles say that even if you swap out the SIM card, the iPhone can still be locked. How can I get a clearer answer on this?

iPhone 5, iOS 8.1.2, null

Posted on Jan 21, 2015 8:57 PM

11 replies

Jan 21, 2015 9:41 PM in response to sberman

I probably need to talk to someone else in the store. I think the rep that helped me was either trying to avoid unlocking my phone (I heard of stories like this) or he assumed that my phone was unlocked without really checking.

Just to clarify, does the SIM card have anything to do with whether the iPhone is locked or not? Also, what kind of information does the SIM card hold? Does it store anything like information from my Contacts app?

Jan 22, 2015 1:03 AM in response to Carlton Chin

No, an iPhone sim card carries no data at all and you cannot store anything on the sim card, which is why you have to sync with iTunes.

Also, NO you do not need to get the phone unlocked. A Verizon phone is a CDMA phone and with the iPhone 5, is sold with a GSM sim card tray that is unlocked, so that when you go travelling, you can insert and use local GSM sim cards in that section of the phone to make it easier and you just switch back to Verizon when you get back for the US.

Is My iPhone 5 unlocked?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.