Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages whistling sound

When I open Messages I get a whistling sound. Even worse is that when Messages is open, every time I wake up my iMac I get that same whistling sound. I don't have any unread messages. Is there any way I can disable the sound?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Jan 21, 2015 8:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2015 2:42 PM

Yes, that's the sound. I don't have any buddy lists. I do want Notifications to play in general, just not this one. How can I configure it?

5 replies

Jan 22, 2015 1:16 PM in response to suzannegarn

Hi,

If you have Buddy Lists there is a Sound that goes with them logging in.

The Sound is contained within the app but is played when the Notifications (System Preferences > Notifications > Messages) is set to play the sounds.

The Alert sounds are played at the same level as the System Alerts in System Preferences > Sound > Sound Effects.

These have volume setting that allows them to be loud(er) relatively to the master volume.

Do this:-

Go to the Applications folder.

Right Click Messages.

Choose the Show Package Contents option.

Click open the Contents folder you are shown.

Navigate to Resources.

Right Click the "Logging In.aiff" file and then chose Quicktime (10) to play it (otherwise it gets added to iTunes)

It is a sort wee-weep two tone sound that I can see some people calling a whistle.

User uploaded file

9:16 pm Thursday; January 22, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Jan 23, 2015 11:58 AM in response to suzannegarn

Hi,

In iChat and the first version of Messages there was a Preferences pane that allowed you to change the sounds linked to specific actions.

See the top Pic on this Page

In Mavericks and Yosemite this item has disappeared and the only one you can change is the Messages Received one and this has been Moved to the General Section of the Preferences.

You have three choices.

1) Turn off the Play Sound option in Notifications

2) Use the System Preferences > Sound > Sound effects volume control to balance Alert Sounds against the Master volume.

3) Replace the sound in the app with a Silent one or one you like.

Open Quicktime.

Either record (File Menu in Quicktime) a new silent sound or Open and sound file you do like.

Use the Duplicate option in Quicktime (Also File Menu)

Rename the newly duplicated version to the "Logging In.aiff" like the one in Messages.

Save the item.

Then inside the Messages app again change the name of the current Logging In sound file (Add the word Old before the .aiff)

Leave this inside the App.

Drag the newly created one made in Quicktime to the Application.

It is most likely going to ask you to Authorise this with your Admin account's Password.

User uploaded file

7:58 pm Friday; January 23, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Messages whistling sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.