Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomeKit Software Bridge... i.e. Indigo Domotics?

Will Apple allow for a HomeKit Software Bridge?

For those of you that are die hard MAC addicts coupled with Home Automation enthusiasts..... you are probably running Indigo. If not... you should... Anyway, I was greatly disappointed to hear that the Apple HomeKit technology will not allow for a software based bridge. Like many Indigo users, my home is full of Mac Minis, multiple iPads, Apple TVs, iPhones and the like all leveraging the power of Indigo to perform complex home automation tasks that no hardware solution has ever been able to match. The HomeKit venture is apparently skipping over the automation enthusiasts and just going straight to the automation weekend warriors. I am greatly disappointed in Apple for this oversight.

If you think that HomeKit will provide all the solutions.... here are a couple things my house does with indigo.....

If the temperature outside is warmer than the temperature inside and the HVAC heater is on, indigo sends me a text message informing me of that and asks if I want to turn off the heater. The opposite happens if it's cooler outside and the AC is on.

If my back door is open for more than 5 minutes, Indigo sends me a message to let me know and asks if I want to turn off the AC unit (if running)

When someone rings my doorbell, Indigo sends me a text message with an attached picture of the person at the door with links to turn on or off the patio light and to lock or unlock the front door.

With wifi smart phone detection, Indigo can let me know who is home, who isn't home, for how long, when everyone is home, when everyone is gone and trigger actions based on occupancy.

I have virtual keypads for my alarm panel, apple TVs and iTunes... all accessible from any of my MAC or i devices.

I can have indigo send me notifications on several platforms so I can customize which device gets what notifications and how that device responds... Growl/Prowl, Pushover, Notifications, Email, SMS, Audio through server or through iTunes, etc.

As you can see, these are just a few of the complex things that I would sacrifice if I elected to use HomeKit to turn on/off my lights.

Posted on Jan 21, 2015 8:22 PM

17 replies

Jun 14, 2017 3:18 PM in response to whmoorejr

I have Indigo and Insteon devices. I have a motion sensors on my front door step, in my closet, and in my garage. When one is activated the light comes on for a few minutes. If I tap the switch to turn the light on it goes off after a few minutes. If I double-tap the light it comes on and stays on until I turn it off manually or put the house to sleep for the night. (This is nice when I know guests will be arriving so they have light before they get to the door step, or if I know I'm going to be working under the car in the garage, out of view of the motion sensor.). So far writing scripts in Indigo is the only way I've found to do this simple, obvious task. I too would love to be able to tie my HomeKit devices into my much more capable Indigo system.

Feb 2, 2015 10:55 PM in response to whmoorejr

Indigo Domotics, (Indigo Perceptive Automation) is THE way to do home automation! Been using it for years now and there is no limit to what you can do. If you can think of it, there is a way to do it in Indigo. The support is FANTASTIC by Matt and Jay. I wish all Mac software was this good. Apple should select Indigo as it's automation software. If anyone wants to do home automation and is using a Mac, then Indigo Domotics is definitely the way to go!

May 21, 2015 10:53 AM in response to whmoorejr

I have all Insteon devices and a variety of Apple devices, so integration of different hardware devices, such as ZWave, for me is not important. I think the idea of an Insteon hub and app for my Apple devices is great. I also believe that Indigo has the flexibility to allow the user to program the any type of trigger events, some of them mentioned above. The marriage of Insteon and Apple hardware, and Indigo software would give the best of both worlds. I hope Apple will consider to incorporate the software capabilities of Indigo. The possibilities would be endless. Imagine, asking Siri to "set an alarm if the HVAC is ON when the front door is open for more than 5 minutes during the daytime" or "send an email when the front door motion detector becomes ON during 1AM and 6AM."

Jun 1, 2015 1:31 PM in response to peterjzarka

I use Indigo on a Mac mini to run my entire HA. I have an as-yet-not-release Insteon Hub Pro on pre-order, which is purported to have HomeKit bridging. I question my intelligence because I can't see how the hub might integrate into a sophisticated Indigo-based system. Anyone have any thoughts on this matter? Should I just cancel the Hub Pro? Clearly will not be able to add Indigo rules via Siri, which is fine by me. What pluses might the hub be able to add to an Indigo system?

Sep 6, 2015 10:09 AM in response to whmoorejr

You appear to be very good using Indigo and many different Apple devices. I too, am doing much of the same type of HA. However, I am very interested in how you are able to detect iPhones, and who is home, using wifi? I have searched the internet for a long time to figure out how this can be done, but have determined that it is not possible using wifi alone. Can you please share how you are doing this?

Nov 28, 2015 8:31 PM in response to whmoorejr

This is disappointing, but I am glad I ran across this post as am going to be building smart home into both a major renovation and a new structure during the next few years. I will certainly be keeping my eye on this topic regarding using Apple's policy, as it is the most user friendly environment - Indigo's Home Kit - for most people. The field of smart homes is so new and ever-changing, with few if any standards, that this type of situation is bound to occur, so adding this to my watch list for my future projects. It certainly is difficult to implement the most environmentally friendly solutions in this field, including alternative energy, water and waste management, which should ultimately all tie together for a better - and at some point - cheaper way of life for all economic groups.

Mar 31, 2016 7:12 AM in response to whmoorejr

Went to the custom integration expo in Toronto yesterday for venders, dealers and installers. The insteon booth was quiet. Sad. So even though I'm training to be an installer for one of the more major players in HA I went to talk to them. They tried to push the new home kit enabled hub, I told him I'm already using Indigo for my own home. It was like they didn't understand how much more indigo brings them to life, really disappointing to see at a expo full of the top installers in my area. I try to tout Apple, Indigo, and Insteon as a combination that threatens the 200k$ systems that are currently the industry standard. It opens the door for enthusiasts to finally take a crack at HA.

So I will boldly speak on behalf of the entire indigo community, who are all Apple hardcore's… +1 +1 +1… plus all of us.

It would be a catastrophic mistake to not include indigo domotics, perceptive automation, whatever you want to call them. Indigo is like no other in the automation world, they aren't a threat to steal sales from Insteon's homekit hub or any of the other homekit devices. But rather, they will act as a promotion of said devices and be a threat to the big players like Savant, Control4 etc.

Apple, I have said it before, watch your step, looking more like Microsoft everyday. Play nice with someone at least.

HomeKit Software Bridge... i.e. Indigo Domotics?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.