Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

barcode scanner

How do I connect a bluetooth barcode scanner to a mac.

When I try to pair, the barcode scanner appears to be a bluetooth keyboard, and the mac asks that I keyin a number. I can't do that with a scanner.

How do I get around this?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Jan 21, 2015 8:21 PM

8 replies

Jan 23, 2015 3:42 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

No,

The Mac is GENERATING a random paring number. It sees the scanner as a keyboard, so assumes it is easy to enter the pairing code.

Each time you try to pair, the pairing number is different.

In earlier version of OS X you could tell the MAC that a pairing code was not required. That option seems to have disappeared over time.

Jan 23, 2015 3:46 PM in response to bolts25

You might need to ensure this device is compatible with the version of OS X that you have on your Mac. I'm not a Mac user, so I cannot help any further on this. But, if the Mac is recognizing the device as a keyboard, rather than a scanner, there may be an issue with the Bluetooth on the scanner. You might want to check on the support site for the device and see if they have any information.

Jan 23, 2015 6:15 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

The whole idea with barcode scanners is that they appear to be a keyboard.

Then, there are no drivers required and they will interface will all (most) systems. Also no application changes/modifications.

Works perfectly on a Windows PC.

Why would Apple Recently insist on a pairing code, and why am I not able to ignore this requirement?

Pairing code was optional in older versions of OS X.

Oct 12, 2016 4:01 PM in response to bolts25

Hi there!

Try these:

1) just close that windows that asks you to keyin a number, open the TextEdit and start scanning barcodes into it; or

2) scan any barcode and see if it skips/closes that windows; or

3) user one of the online barcode generation sites like http://online-barcode-generator.net/ and generate the "Code 11" type of barcode with the CODE that the window is asking you to keyin, print it and scan it to satisfy that window.

Best regards!

barcode scanner

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.