Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are replacement phones from apple unlocked?

Apple supplied me with new phone but it is locked - do apple need to unlock please? I have contacted my provider (EE) who I am leaving but they have said as apple gave me a replacement phone they don't need to unlock as they didn't supply and that it should have been supplied unlocked - I have changed providers as had lots of problems with EE and when I put the o2 sim in it says it is locked? Any help would be appreciated. thank you

iPhone 5, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Jan 22, 2015 1:07 AM

4 replies

Jan 22, 2015 2:38 AM in response to lmzdaley

Usually unlocking the phone is done by the provider, who informs Apple to update their data, that this certain phone can be unlocked through iTunes.

If your original phone has been unlocked by the carrier before, he has to notify Apple that your replacement should be unlocked as well.

If you contacted Apple Support to replace the phone? I had to replace mine once and got an email from Apple stating the IMEI and serial number of my old phone and the ones from the new replacement, so that I could pass this info on to my carrier, to get the new device unlocked as well.

iPhone: About unlocking

Jan 22, 2015 2:45 AM in response to Ingo2711

The problem I have is that I have spoken to Apple and they said I need to contact EE. I spoke to EE who have said apple will need to do it as apple replaced the phone which was locked to EE - as my number has ported across to O2 now I am no longer a customer of theirs and you need to be in order to request an unlock code. So I'm a bit stuck as to what to do?

Are replacement phones from apple unlocked?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.