Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone 4S keeps restarting when I turn on/off Wifi connection. This happened after iOS8 update. Do you know why?

Hi,

I would like to find out if there are others having the same issue. My problem started occuring after the iOS 8 update. My phone lost connection to WIFI. At first, I thought that It was related with weak connection strength but that was not the issue. My phone connected to wifi for about 30 seconds and then disconnected itself automatically. This kept happening and I turned the wifi off. This resulted with my phone not responding to anything I do. The screen froze at the latest screen I had opened (This is generally the settings app or the control panel if i used that) I had access to assistive touch but the phone didn't respond to anything I do. After that, the phone started to restart itself continuously. Every time it restarted, it was not responding again and I had to wait until my battery was empty. My lock screen button is not working, so I couldn't hard reset my phone. I tried doing it with assistive touch but again, it didn't work.

This problem occured after I updated to iOS 7 too,but I changed my iPhone 4S with my sister's since she was using wifi less than I do. Anyway, I have 2 iPhone 4S without WIFI connection now.

I would like to know the reason behind this problem.

Thanks.

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.1.2, WIFI connection problem

Posted on Jan 22, 2015 3:27 AM

2 replies

Feb 10, 2015 11:04 AM in response to jabbawocka

Had the same problem plus my iPhone 4S (locked with a carrier from Romania: Orange) is not able to scan for Wi-Fi networks. I was thinking maybe the Wi-Fi chip or antenna are broken BUT surprise today when I tried to introduce a new SIM (from a different carrier) restarted by itself and then in the process of activation was able to see the Wi-Fi networks and I connected it to my home Wi-Fi and it worked just fine for about 30 minutes when I tried to turn off the Wi-Fi and turn it back on again after 15 seconds, this time was not able anymore to scan for Wi-Fi networks. This lead me to the conclusion that the Wi-Fi chip and antenna are ok but may be a software bug. These problems started when I had IOS 8.1.2. I have upgraded to IOS 8.1.3 which is the current version and it still won't work. Furthermore I have deleted all the data on it and reinstalled the IOS 8.1.3 setting it as a new device but still the problem persist: can not scan for Wi-Fi.

Does anyone have a solution for this problem?

Mar 4, 2015 1:05 PM in response to MPoker

Yeah, my iPhone 4S sometimes manages to connect to wifi for about 10 minutes now. I think there is a problem related with the antenna because when the phone heats up, the WIFI stops working. I had a similar experience with my older iPhone 4S which I bought from the U.S.A. (unlocked version) but after a couple of days, WIFI icon grayed out and I wasn't able to switch it on and off. Now the phone I'm using was bought in Turkey from a local carrier, (it's not locked I suppose) I'm planning on upgrading to an iPhone 6 and I will try to get my 4S repaired. I hope it is something related with software rather than hardware. Because a friend of mine sent his phone to the local Apple store to be fixed, they sent the phone back claiming that they had repaired it. But in about 2 days, the phone shut itself down and never turned off back again lol. I don't want to experience the same thing. But anyway, thanks for your answer. At least now I know that I'm not the only one that has this problem 😀.

My iPhone 4S keeps restarting when I turn on/off Wifi connection. This happened after iOS8 update. Do you know why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.